New robust material for effective encapsulation of molecular sensors
We have developed a new material that can effectively encapsulate a variety of ion sensors and have successfully demonstrated its utility and scalability.
Uniquely, our patented hydrogel technology can be integrated into a range of existing devices for monitoring ion levels in samples - in real-time.
Our technology creates a versatile platform which provides a range of benefits:
- Minimal leaching of the sensor over time
- Rapid and reliable read-out signal
- Flexible size and shape tuned for use in a variety of devices, including microfluidic platforms
- Potential to simultaneously monitor multiple analytes
- Multiple re-use of the sensing material
These characteristics overcome current obstacles that have long hindered the development of ion sensing materials.
Our technology addresses the sensing needs of a variety of markets, including:
- Medical - Point-of-care diagnostics to monitor blood content
- Agriculture - Pesticide and herbicide monitoring
- Environment - Drinking water analysis and sampling
- Food and drink - Quality control and contaminant detection
- Security and defence - Stand-off detection of harmful agents
Meet the team
- Dr Steven Butler (Senior Lecturer)
- Dr Helen Willcock (Senior Lecturer)
- Adam Price (Research Associate)