Chemistry research at Loughborough is incredibly diverse. We work with scientists from other disciplines at universities around the world and within industry to address some of the biggest global challenges that face us today.
Staff work across the traditional organic, inorganic, physical and analytical chemistry areas, which have been recently bolstered by expertise in biological/supramolecular, polymer and computational chemistry through strategic recruitment. The Department of Chemistry moved to new facilities in 2018, as part of a £59M investment in STEM on Loughborough Universities “West Park”.
Within the Department the current research themes are:
- Energy: New chemistry for energy-generation, harvesting, demand reduction and storage.
- Health: Development of therapeutically useful compounds, imaging and synthetic methods.
- Security: New methods and technologies to confront criminality
- Sustainability: Novel techniques and technologies for sustainable chemistry and net zero targets.
Staff lead and contribute to several of the School of Science Research Centres:
- Centre for the Science of Materials
- Centre for Analytical Science
- Interdisciplinary Science Centre from Laboratory to Fabrication (Lab2Fab)