International Business student profile
Find out what second year student Amie Fosbraey says about her course and the opportunities available at Loughborough.
International Business - 2017 entry
BSc (Hons) DPS/DintS* 4 years full time sandwich
UCAS code - N110
*Diploma in Professional/International Studies
- About the course
- Course structure
- Career opportunities
- Entry criteria
- Next steps
Being international is not so much a choice for companies today as a necessity. This course was developed in response to a growing need for the managers of tomorrow to have a broader understanding of International Business issues. It has been designed to provide a stimulating education experience that promotes the global outlook required to face the challenges of a globalised business environment.
This course provides you with an insight into the fields of business and management set in an international context and prepares you for careers in management with international or European-oriented organisations, as well as careers requiring fluency in a second language.
About the course
International Business is a four year degree and includes a year on placement or studying abroad (or six months on each) as an integral part of the course. Our final year students regularly comment on how this experience aids their understanding of the material we teach in the final year and their employability prospects.
The first two years will introduce you to the major management functions as well as the financial, economic and organisational environment within which managers and organisations must operate. As well as developing knowledge of international business and how management styles vary around the globe, you will build communication, numeracy and computing skills, and your ability to work in groups. There is also the opportunity to enhance your language skills in French, German or Spanish.
In Year 2, you will also have the option to undertake an ‘international semester’, which is a 6 month study abroad scheme. The third year is spent either on placement, or studying abroad, or a combination of both. The final year allows you to specialise in the management function of your choice and select further business options for detailed study.
Year on Professional Placement or Studying Abroad
- A salaried Professional Placement helps you test drive a career and stand out to employers. Our dedicated Placements Office work with over 400 leading employers of all sizes around the world to help you secure a placement. Typically around 1/3rd of placement students are offered a job by their placement employer.
- Studying Abroad at one of our partner universities around the world also boosts your employability and helps you develop intercultural skills highly prized by employers. We have a range of partnership arrangements with business schools in Europe and around the world, including opportunities in Australia, Austria, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Uruguay, USA and Taiwan.
Satisfactory completion of either of these options results in either a Diploma in International Studies (DIntS) or a Diploma in Professional Studies (DPS) in addition to your degree.
Recent placements for International Business Students
3M (eBusiness Co-ordinator)
General Motors (Marketing Programmes
The core subjects and options may vary from year to year. For the latest information please email us.
- Principles of Marketing
- Organisational Behaviour
- Microeconomics for Business
- Financial Framework
- Skills for Study, Placement and Employment
- Quantitative Methods for Business
- Business Modelling
- The Marketing Mix
- Organisations in the International Context
Plus two modules from a list of options (including including other introductory management subjects and languages).
- International Business
- International Management
- International Employment Relations
- Macroeconomics for Business
- International Economics
- Human Resource Management
- Business Information Management
- Accounting for Management Decisions
- Data Analysis for Marketing Decisions
- Brand Management
Plus two modules from a list of options including: including Sales Management, Company Law, Operations Management, Retail Buying, Financial Management and languages.
There is also the opportunity to spend semester two of year two studying abroad instead of some of the above modules.
Year on placement or studying abroad (or 6 months of each)
- International Corporate Governance and Firms
- International Negotiations
- International Marketing
- International Human Resource Management
- Strategic Management
Plus six modules from a wide range of subject areas including: Financial Management and Corporate Policy, Marketing Strategy and Planning, Small Business Issues, Project Management, Enterprise Resource Planning.
Please note that optional modules are subject to availability and timetable permitting
Career opportunities for International Business Graduates
Our great all-round student experience develops well-rounded graduates who are highly employable:
- Loughborough was ranked joint 3rd in UK for Graduate Prospects in Business and Management Studies (Complete University Guide, 2017).
- Loughborough is one of the top 15 universities most targeted by leading recruiters according to the 2016 Graduate Market Review (High Fliers Research).*
We have very close links with major employers. Consequently our students have enjoyed great success in finding employment, and many organisations specifically target our graduates for recruitment.
Example graduate destinations: Peugeot (Commercial Graduate Trainee); EDF Energy (Supply Chain Specialist); Deutsche Bank, Singapore (Project Manager); Sainsbury’s (Buyer).
*Source: High Fliers Research, ‘The Graduate Market in 2016’, January 2016
Entry criteria – 2017 entry
|Information about the entry requirements for this course are below.|
|A-level||AAB (Excluding General Studies, Critical Thinking and Communication and Culture). In some circumstances we may ask applicants to achieve specific grades in certain subjects|
|SQA AH||AB Advanced Highers plus AAB Highers|
|IB||35 points minimum with Grades 6 6 5 at HL|
|Other||BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma: DDD profile in relevant subjects|
|Additional||Strong GCSE profile including minimum grade B in Maths and English Language (or equivalent)|
All applications must be made through UCAS. To find out what to do next, please read our how to apply section.
SQA AH = Scottish Qualifications Authority Advanced Highers
IB = International Baccalaureate Diploma
BTEC = Business and Technology Education Council (UK)
If you are interested in studying our International Business BSc please follow the links for further useful information:
- Fees and funding - find out how much your programme will cost
- How to apply - more about the application process
- Undergraduate open days - a chance to visit our outstanding campus
- Student profiles - find out about our award-winning student experience
- Placements - learn more about the year-long professional placements available on all our courses
- Study abroad - find out about our study abroad scheme
To enquire about any of undergraduate courses please contact:
Undergraduate Admissions and Recruitment Officer
Tel: +44 (0)1509 223393