Welfare Benefits and Students

Most full-time students are not eligible for means-tested welfare benefits including Universal Credit. Students with disabilities can apply for and continue to receive DLA/PIP or apply for PIP while studying.

Students who may be entitled to Universal Credit include:

  • Those on a non-advanced course (Art Foundation students), depending on your age and circumstances;
  • Lone parents;
  • Students with a partner who is entitled to Universal Credit;
  • Students in receipt of DLA or PIP;
  • Some students who have had to take time out due to ill-health and are waiting to re-join at the start of the next academic year.

The normal income and capital assessments for benefits will apply.

Part-time students may be eligible for benefits whilst studying depending on the number of hours of study, income and capital levels. Postgraduate students are the most likely group to be registered on a part-time programme.

Undergraduate students who are re-taking or stretching their degree and those who are taking a Leave of Absence are still deemed to be full-time students for welfare benefit/Universal Credit purposes.

How can the University Support you?

If you require further guidance or advice you can contact the Student Advice and Support Service.

External Resources

Last Updated: 11th July 2023