A Visual impairment is a loss of sight that cannot be corrected using glasses or contact lenses.
If you do have a visual impairment, we can help to support you whilst you are studying at Loughborough.
How can the University support you?
Before you start your studies, we can:
- meet with you to discuss your individual circumstances. You are welcome to bring family or a friend to this meeting
- provide advice on the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)
- help to secure suitable University accommodation
- work with your local social services department and/or occupational therapist if required
- arrange orientation support to help familiarise yourself with campus and feel confident about traveling independently
- advise on the medical evidence you will need to provide in order to access support
Depending on an assessment of your needs, either by a DSA assessor or a University Disability Advisor, support could include:
- arranging a 1-1 library induction
- arranging orientation support around campus
- provision of materials in accessible formats e.g. Braille
- provision of mentoring and/or study support skills
- support to facilitate access to social activities on campus
- access to some assistive software on the University IT system
- adaptations to the physical environment or provision of equipment to meet your individual needs
- providing advice on applying for and accessing your DSA
- liaising with your department about reasonable adjustments to course delivery to meet your individual needs
- arranging for extended library loans
- arranging for awareness training to your department
- examination and assessment adjustments
What to do next?
If you are an Applicant:
Regardless of whether you use the disability box in your application, or mention your circumstances in your personal statement, you should use the Disability and Health Portal to share further information with us.
This will give us the opportunity to assess your requirements and arrange support as necessary in time for your studies to start.
If you are a Current Student:
Current students should contact the Team directly by either phone +44 (0)1509 222770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
What sporting opportunities are there for people with visual impairments?
You can find further information about the sport available at Loughborough below:
I have a new diagnosis, how can I access support at University for my studies?
Please email your diagnostic paperwork to email@example.com
You will then be offered an appointment to meet with an Advisor to discuss your diagnosis and support available to you.
How do I know if I have support already in place at University for me?
You can check all your approved support here via the disability tab in your self-service portal.
I require changes made to my University hall accommodation to meet my needs, what should I do?
There is a section in the Disability and Health Portal for you to note any accommodation requirements linked to your physical or mental health.
Answers to frequently asked questions related to specific accommodation requirements can be found online.
I have a professional carer/team of carers, how does my University accommodation support this?
Please see answers to our frequently asked questions related to specific accommodation requirements.
Last Updated: 4th July 2022