UK/Home Students

If you are a UK/Home Student, you should look to register with a GP Practice close to either our Loughborough or London campus depending on where you are based.  You can find more information on how to register with the GP here.

NHS Low Income Scheme

In the UK, individuals who have a low income have access to the NHS Low Income Scheme.

The scheme can help you pay for:

    • NHS prescription charges
    • NHS dental treatment charged
    • The cost of sight tests, glasses and contact lenses
    • The cost of travelling to receive NHS treatment
    • NHS wigs and fabric supports (check with your hospital for their arrangements for supplying NHS wigs)

How much support you get is dependent on your weekly income and necessary outgoings plus any savings or investments you have at the time you apply.

You can apply for the NHS low-income scheme through completing a HC1 form

More information can be found here.


The NHS app allows you to access a range of services including:

    • Booking appointments
    • Viewing your medical record.
    • Ordering repeat prescriptions.
    • Checking symptoms.
    • Finding up-to-date coronavirus advice.

You can find out more about the app on the NHS website.

NHS Prescription Prepayment Certificate

An NHS Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC) could save you money if you pay for your NHS prescriptions.

The certificate covers all your NHS prescriptions for a set price. You will save money if you need more than 3 items in 3 months, or 11 items in 12 months.

You can buy a PPC online or in-person at some pharmacies.

You can find more information on this NHS website.

What if I’m planning to study in the EU?

If you are planning to take part in a study abroad to an EU Country as part of your degree you should arrange a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) prior to travel. The GHIC was previously known as a European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC).

GHIC Schemes and EHIC schemes should not be used as an alternative to travel insurance.

You will need to apply for a GHIC that’s time limited to the length of your course.

You will need to complete a GHIC application form and post it with a letter from the university/college.

For more information visit the NHS Website.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does a GHIC/EHIC Cover?

You can use the GHIC to get ‘necessary healthcare’ from state services when visiting an EU country.

Necessary healthcare means healthcare which becomes medically necessary during your stay and you cannot reasonably wait until you are back in the UK to receive treatment.

How do I apply for a GHIC/EHIC?

Most people can apply for a GHIC online but some need to apply by post. If you are planning to apply due to a study abroad placement, you must apply by post.

You can apply online here.

How long does a GHIC/EHIC take to arrive?

An EHIC or GHIC is free of charge and would normally arrive within 10 days 

Are there any exemptions to a GHIC/EHIC?

GHICs and old UK EHICs cannot be used in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland.

UK students studying on a placement will need to apply for a new EHIC.

You can apply online here

Last Updated: 31st January 2024