EU, EEA and Swiss Students

The UK’s departure from the EU brought into place new requirements for individuals who wish to come to the UK to study.

New students entering the UK from 1st January 2021 for studies over 6 months need to gain prior permission under the Student route. Alternatively, EU students coming to study for 6 months or less can enter as a visitor without prior permission. 

Alternatively, EU students (including non-EU EEA and Swiss nationals) who established UK residency by 31 December 2020 should have applied under the EU Settlement Scheme by 30th June 2021 to protect their UK residency. In some cases, it is possible to submit a late application.  

Irish nationals do not need to apply for permission to enter or remain in the UK nor need to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme.

EU Settlement Scheme

The EU Settlement Scheme offers EU, non-EU EEA and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members the chance to protect their UK residency post Brexit. The application is free of charge and should ensure that your status in the UK is adequately documented. 

In order to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme, you should have been resident in the UK by the end of the transition period (11pm on 31st December 2020). 

Depending on how long your UK residency has been, a settlement application can result in two possible outcomes - pre-settled status (giving the right to be here for a temporary period) or settled status which provides an enduring right to be in the UK. 

You will not need to choose which status to apply for; UKVI will assign one of these depending on the evidence available to them from other government databases such as Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as to how long you have been in the UK.   

UKVI will check their databases using a National Insurance number but if you don’t have a National Insurance number, you can obtain and provide alternative evidence including a letter of student enrolment downloadable from the Student Self-Service portal.   

For more information about the EU Settlement Scheme, see the UK Council of International Student Affairs (UKCISA) webpages. You can also view the UKVI guidance on settlement within the EU Settlement guidance and to start your application, visit Applying to the EU Settlement Scheme. 

Visitor permission

New students studying for less than 6 months may be able to enter the UK after the end of the transition period as a visitor. There should not be the need to apply for immigration permission before travelling and EU nationals are likely to be able to enter via the e-gates. 

For more information on entering the UK as a visitor, see our 'Studying on a visitor visawebpage. 

Student route

All EU, non-EU, EEA and Swiss nationals with no prior UK residency who intend to study for longer than 6 months will need to apply for immigration permission under the Student route before entering the UK. 

This change places the same immigration requirements on EU nationals as nationals from the rest of the world. 

Full details of the application process, requirements and evidence needed can be found on our 'Applying for a student visa from outside the UK' webpage.   


  • There is an on-line application process. 

  • You will need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Study (CAS) from the University in order to apply. 

  • There are financial requirements around course fees and living expenses with a need to hold the required funds for a minimum 28-day period before applying. 

  • There is an application fee of £348 paid in local currency as well as a need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). The IHS is set currently at £470 for each year and each part year between 6 - 12 months. For each part year less than 6 months, the charge is £235.
  • You must not travel to the UK before the start date of your Student visa.  If you do, you will be entering the UK as a Visitor and may not be able to enrol or study. 

UKVI gives detailed information on how it considers applications within its caseworker guidance and you should read the parts relevant to your circumstances. 

How can the University support you?

You can find guidance on various visa topics on the University’s webpages. These webpages include the most common visa related topics, questions and issues.

You should always use the webpages first; however if you require advice or guidance beyond what is covered on the webpages you can contact the Student Advice and Support Service. 

External Resources

Last Updated: 19th January 2023