Medical Care Whilst at University
Students can register with the Medical Centre if they live on campus or in Loughborough town. The Medical Centre is based on campus and provides a full range of NHS services.
Key services include:
- Minor illness & minor injury
- Contraception, sexual health advice and clinics
- Midwifery appointments
- Travel advice & vaccinations
- Immunisation programmes, including childhood, men ACWY, MMR, shingles
- GP appointments
- Mental health and wellbeing services
Visit the Medical Centre's Website for more information about the practice, the staff, as well as general health information.
Alternatively, you may wish to register with a GP practice in Loughborough town and the details of other surgeries can be found on NHS Choices.
We strongly advise that all students are registered with a GP practice in the Loughborough area and if you require medical attention whilst away from University, you register elsewhere as a temporary patient for continuity of care.
Call NHS 111 if you require urgent medical advice that is NOT life-threatening.
Visit Loughborough's Urgent Care Centre for medical services whilst your practice is closed and if it cannot wait until your GP surgery is open again.
The Urgent Care Centre is located on Hospital Way, Loughborough, LE11 5JY. Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Tel: 01509 568800
Call 999 if you have a medical emergency or life-threatening condition.
Sexual Health Clinics in Loughborough
Walk-in or appointment clinic; free,confidential services offering a choice of queue and wait or appointments to provide all your sexual needs including:
STI testing including HIV tests
A full range of contraception including IUD/ IUS and implants.
Management of complex contraception, including missing threads and other IUD/IUS/ Implant problems
Pregnancy testing and onward referral
Post Exposure HIV Prophylaxis – PEP/PEPSE
Free condoms and lubricants
There are different staff on each day; in some cases, you will need to return to see a more appropriate member of staff.
- Free and confidential clamydia testing available from the sexual health service if you are aged 16-24. Simply order your chlamydia or STI test kit online, which will be delivered within a couple of days. You then simply collect your sample(s) and return to our laboratory via freepost. Find out more here.
Sexual Health Services on Loughborough University campus
The Medical Centre - The Medical Centre can provide full sexual health screening and advice; contact the surgery on 01509 222061 to make an appointment.
Pharmacy on Campus - 'The Medicine Box' offers FREE emergency contraception.
- C-card Scheme - free condom scheme for young people 13-24. Once you're registered you are given a card which enables you to go to trained distributors and receive top up packs when and as needed.
You can register at: Pinfold Medical Practice, Pinfold Gate; John Storer House, Wards End, LE11 3HA; The Medicine Box
Distributors: The Medicine Box, John Storer House, Pinfold Medical Practice, Sainsbury's Pharmacy, Superdrug
- Free condoms are available from the Welfare Office in the Students' Union.
- You can also visit the NHS Website for more information on sexual health, as well as answers to frequently asked questions.
Have you been a victim of Sexual Violence?
Find out about the support for you here: Sexual Violence Support.
The NHS is the UK's state health service which provides treatment for UK residents. Some services are free and some have to be paid for.
You will need to register with a GP as soon as you arrive in the UK; for most students, this will be the medical centre on campus.
The following are free for everyone irrespective of their nationality:
- emergency treatment (but not follow up treatment);
- family planning services
- diagnosis and treatment of certain communicable diseases
- compulsory psychiatric treatment
Please find more information using the links below: