Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support

Visa Advice

Visas for family & friends

Certain International Students can bring their family members to stay in the UK while they study. To do this, an application as a dependant would need to be made for each family member. You can find more guidance on the UKCISA website and the UKVI PBS Dependent Policy Guidance.

See the Dependant visas leaflet below for further information. As this area can be complex, we advise you to contact us for further advice and support.

Dependant visas: bringing your family to the UK

Some international students may also want a visit from a family member or friend, perhaps to attend your graduation ceremony.

Depending on their nationality your family member or friend will probably need to apply for entry clearance (a visa) to enter the UK. You can use this web tool to check if they need a visa.

See the Standard Visitor Visa leaflet below for further information. 

Standard visitor visa

Please note, we are not able to write a letter of invitation for your visitor and we do not have standard letters for you to use. You need to write this letter yourself, reflecting your own personal situation. Our leaflet gives guidance as to what should be included.

The Student Advice and Support Service is authorised to provide immigration advice and services by an order made under section 84(4)(d) of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (Part V Exemption: Educational Institutions and Health Sector Bodies) Order 2001 (Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 1403)). Should you have a complaint about the service you can use the Student Advice and Support Service's complaints procedure or you can use the OISC Complaints Scheme.