Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support

Visa Advice

EU Settlement Scheme

Whilst the future of Brexit remains uncertain, it would generally be advisable for anyone who is eligible to apply for the EU settlement scheme. This recommendation applies to both continuing and new students from the EU / EEA / Switzerland. 

The settlement scheme offers EU, non-EU EEA and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members the chance to protect their UK residency after the UK leaves the EU. The application is free and can help ensure that your status in the UK is adequately documented.

Depending on the terms of any Brexit withdrawal arrangement, it may become mandatory to apply under the scheme in the future.

By the time of Brexit (plus any transitional period if agreed), in order to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme, you should be resident in the UK.

Depending on how long your residency has been, a settlement application can result in two possible outcomes - pre-settled status (giving the right to be here for a temporary period) or settled status which provides an enduring right to be in the UK.

You will not need to choose which status to apply for - UKVI will assign one of these depending on the evidence available to them from other government databases such as HMRC as to how long you have been in the UK.  

If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you can obtain alternative evidence including a letter of student enrolment which you can obtain from Student Enquiries in the Rutland building.

Fore more information as to how the settlement scheme will operate if the UK agree a deal or in the event of a no deal Brexit as well as detailed information for students on the application process, see the UK Council of International Student Affairs (UKCISA) webpages.

You can also view the UKVI guidance on settlement within the EU Settlement guidance and to start your application, visit Applying to the EU Settlement Scheme