International applicants

As a university, we are dedicated to supporting an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment – to create better futures together. Our international community of staff and students are our great strength and are vital in our pursuit of delivering education excellence, enterprise, research and professional services.  

Together we are creating an environment where individuals can belong, develop and thrive. 

We recognise that living and working in a new country can be a major change in your life and we aim to make your transition to Loughborough as easy as possible. The information below provides you with information to support you with your transition.  

For all successful international staff where the position is for more than two years in duration, we provide financial support towards your visa, NHS and travel costs to relocate to the UK.

Right to work in the UK

We recognise that the conditions and criteria relating to immigration can be complex and will be dependent on individual circumstances.

The University does not make suitability decisions for roles based on nationality; all applicants who meet the criteria outlined in the Job Description and Person Specification for the role will be considered. All offers of employment are made on a conditional basis, subject to obtaining the relevant permission to work in the UK. Your Recruitment Officer will support you through this process at the time of offer.

You will be asked on your application form whether you require permission to work in the UK, and if so, whether you would require Sponsorship.

Prior to commencing employment, you will be required to undertake a “Right to Work Check” to evidence that you have permission to work in the UK. You will not be able to start work until this check has been completed.

For more information, please see the Right to Work pages, which are linked below.


The University is an ‘A’ rated sponsorship license holder and therefore able to sponsor candidates who require a Skilled Worker visa for certain eligible roles.

If you are applying from outside the UK and require Sponsorship, the University is required to apply to the UKVI for a defined Certificate of Sponsorship.

If you are already in the UK under another immigration category and are eligible to switch into the Skilled Worker category, the University will be able to assign an undefined Certificate of Sponsorship. Once a Certificate of Sponsorship has been assigned details are provided to the candidate for including on their visa application.

Please note: you will be required to provide your ORIGINAL degree certificates, English Language test certificate (if applicable) and ATAS certificate (if applicable) prior to commencing your role. Your Recruitment Officer will provide you with further information about the documentation required once you have been offered the role.

In addition to your visa application fee, you may need to pay an Immigration Healthcare surcharge as part of your immigration application.

Where your post is for more than two years in duration, we provide financial support towards your visa, NHS and travel costs to relocate to the UK.