Training and events
Three Minute Thesis
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ).
Loughborough University’s Doctoral College and Enhanced Academic Practice are excited to announce this year’s Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition for Doctoral Researchers!
Entrants have three minutes (and a single, static, slide) in which to present a compelling oration on their thesis and its importance.
3MT® provides an excellent opportunity for participants to develop their communication and presentation skills. Moreover, 3MT® challenges Doctoral Researchers to share their ideas and discoveries concisely to non-specialists.
Each School will organise a 3MT® competition (dates and times to be confirmed) and winners will be put forward to take part in the University’s 3MT® Grand Final at the Doctoral College’s Summer Showcase (19 June 2023, 9am-1pm).
The winner of the Grand Final will receive £150 and will be put forward to enter regional and national 3MT® competitions. There will also be ‘Runner-up’ and ‘People’s Choice’ prizes. All finalists will receive a certificate of participation.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
How to Register:
To register your interest in taking part in the 3MT® competition, please complete the form below which corresponds to your School.
- Aeronautical, Automotive, Chemical and Materials Engineering
- Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering
- Business and Economics
- Design and Creative Arts
- Loughborough University London
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences
- Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering
For more information about 3MT® and to watch presentations from around the world, please visit the University of Queensland's 3MT® webpages. You may also wish to watch Vitae's 2023 National 3MT® competition to see Ridzuan A-Rasid (winner of Loughborough's 3MT®) in action! Ridzuan received People’s Choice Award and £1,000 prize fund to put towards public engagement activities for his research! Ridzuan also won the East Midlands Doctoral Network Three Minute Thesis Competition and it's People’s Choice Award.
If you have any questions about the Loughborough University's 3MT® competition, please contact Dr Katryna Kalawsky.