Training and events
Three Minute Thesis
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ).
Loughborough University’s Doctoral College is excited to announce this year’s Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition for Doctoral Researchers!
Entrants have three minutes (and a single, static, slide) in which to present a compelling oration on their thesis and its importance.
3MT® provides an excellent opportunity for participants to develop their communication and presentation skills. Moreover, 3MT® challenges Doctoral Researchers to share their ideas and discoveries concisely to non-specialists.
This year each School organised its won 3MT® competition and winners have been put forward to take part in the University’s 3MT® Grand Final at the Doctoral College’s Summer Showcase (28 June 2023, 9am-1:30pm).
All University 3MT® finalists will receive a certificate of participation.
The winner of the University’s 3MT® Grand Final will receive £150 and will be put forward to enter Vitae's national 3MT® competition. There will also be ‘Runner-up’ and ‘People’s Choice’ prizes.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
For more information about 3MT® and to watch presentions from around the world, please visit the UoQ's 3MT® webpages.
If you have any questions about the Loughborough University 3MT® competitions, please contact Dr Katryna Kalawsky.