Training and events
Cumberland Lodge Scholarship Scheme 2019-2021
This is a two-year programme for doctoral students studying at universities in the UK, designed to fit around their studies. The scholarship offers a unique opportunity for students from any discipline to develop skills in communication, public engagement, and interdisciplinary working. Seven scholarships are available each year - please note that the closing date for applications for the September 2019 to September 2021 scholarships has now passed.
What the Scholarship involves
From the Scholar
- Attendance at two conferences per year, an annual Scholars’ Retreat in September, and Annual Lecture
- Facilitation at events
- Submission of a blog and newsletter article on conferences attended
From Cumberland Lodge
- Mentoring in intellectual leadership
- Involvement in cross-disciplinary debates on important social and ethical issues
- Training in communication and public engagement
- Networking opportunities with senior academics and people in public life
- A personal development grant of up to £300
- Free food, accommodation and travel whilst staying at Cumberland Lodge
Applicants must be studying for a doctorate in the UK, be able to commit to a two-year programme, and complete and submit the application form by 1st March 2019.
Hints and Tips
In the past, successful Cumberland Lodge applicants:
- Explained their ideas in a way that could be understood by non-specialists
- Did not focus solely on their research (i.e. they mentioned extra-curricular interests)
- Demonstrated that they new the ethos of Cumberland Lodge and how they would contribute towards it.