Helen is a part-time University Teacher in Graphic Design. As well as tutoring at Loughborough, Helen works as a freelance illustrator, designer and art teacher. Within her freelance practice Helen has worked for clients within the UK, Australia, mainland Europe and America. Her work includes book cover design, online game design, illustrations for magazines, visual merchandise and greetings cards. Her greetings card range has been sold in Waterstones, the Medici Gallery and Nottingham Tourism Centre.
Prior to working at Loughborough University, Helen has been employed as a graphic designer and has worked as a fashion photography assistant.
Helen enjoys teaching a range of different work groups and has run workshops for architects, private businesses and at Hayward House Hospice as part of her freelance teaching.
Helen is a Fellow in Higher Education and is currently working towards her Senior Fellowship. She has also previously completed the Associate Teaching Pathway course under the LUPE system at Loughborough University.
Helen enjoys working in a range of different media and is keen to continually keep learning.
Currently Helen tutors on the following modules on the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programmes:
- ACA140 – Graphic Design Context (20 credits).
- ACA141 – Type & Language (20 credits).
- ACA142 – Visual Thinking (10 credits).
- ACA143 – Visual Practices (20 credits) - Module Leader.
- ACB803 - Content and Context: Society, Culture and Economy (40 credits).
- ACC808 – Industrial Intelligence in Graphic Communication and Illustration (20 credits).
Helen also has experience tutoring on the following modules:
- ACA801 – Visual Thinking in Practice (40 credits)
- ACA802 – Visual Methods in Practice (40 credits) - Module Leader
- ACC810 – Destinations in Graphic Communication and Illustration (60 credits)
Helen has taught on the Art & Design Foundation Course at Loughborough as well as at Nottingham Trent’s International College.
Helen has received the following teaching accolades:
- Athena Swan Extra Mile Inspirational Leadership Award: Winner in the SDCA
- Teaching Best Practice: Highly Commended in Loughborough University
- Athena Swan Extra Mile Team Award: Winner (Art & Design Foundation Course), under the Programme Direction of Paula Gamble-Schwarz, in the SDCA
Outside of FE and HE teaching Helen runs art and design workshops at a variety of different art establishments, galleries and locations.