Suzana joined Loughborough University in October 2011, and is a Reader in Accounting.
Suzana welcomes PhD proposals from prospective students interested in research on sustainability accounting and accountability, particularly if related to the public sector. She has experience in supervising projects that are qualitative in nature.
Current teaching includes:
- Management Accounting (second year undergraduate module)
- Strategic Management Accounting and Performance (final year undergraduate module)
Suzana’s research interests are in the areas of:
- sustainability accounting and accountability in public services
- management control for sustainability strategy
- partnership working in local government.
Her research has been funded by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), The British Academy, and the British Accounting Association Special Interest Group on Public Services Accounting.
In general, Suzana’s research seeks to understand the outworking and transformative potential of sustainability accounting in the public and private sectors. She has conducted her research in the NHS, local authorities, large multinational companies, and small and medium sized enterprises.
Suzana’s academic research has been published in leading international accounting and public management journals including:
- Accounting, Organizations and Society
- Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal
- Financial Accountability & Management
- Management Accounting Research
- Public Administration
- Public Management Review
Together with co-authors, she has also published a CIMA-funded monograph on management accounting and sustainability, and several chapters on sustainability accounting and accountability.
She has co-edited a Special Issue of Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal with Professor Markus Milne on Climate Change, Greenhouse Gas Accounting, Auditing and Accountability [see volume 24, issue 8 (2011) and volume 25, issue 1 (2012)].
Editor and reviewer roles
Suzana is a member of the Editorial Board of:
- Public Money & Management (2012 to present)
- Social and Environmental Accountability Journal (2015 to present)
She has acted as an ad-hoc reviewer for the following peer-reviewed journals: Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal; Accounting Forum; British Journal of Management; Corporate Governance: An International Journal; Financial Accountability & Management; Journal of Accountancy & Organisational Change; Journal of Applied Accounting Research; Journal of Business Ethics; Management Accounting Research; M@n@gement; Pacific Accounting Review; Public Management Review; Public Money and Management; Social and Environmental Accountability Journal; and, Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal.
- Public Management and Policy Association
- The British Accounting and Finance Association
- The Centre for Social and Environmental Accounting Research
- Winner of Emerald Publisher’s 2012 Outstanding Special Issue Award for 2012 special issue of Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal on Climate Change, Green House Gas Accounting, Auditing and Accountability (with Professor Markus Milne).
- Winner of 2015 Centre for Social & Environmental Accounting Research teaching case study competition for submission entitled ‘A new era: moving from climate action to a broader sustainability agenda’ (with Professor Jean-Pascal Gond, Professor Christian Herzig and Professor Jeremy Moon).