Grammatoula Papaioannou is a Senior Lecturer in Business Analytics at Loughborough Business School. Prior to this appointment, and since August 2008, Grammatoula was a Lecturer at Loughborough Business School. She holds a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science and a PhD in Operational Research from Loughborough University.
Grammatoula has published in leading academic journals, became a Co-Investigator on a major ESRC grant (£1,000,000) and established extensive links with external partner organisations.
She has taught a large portfolio of modules at all levels (i.e., undergraduate, postgraduate and executive education) and has been for many years the Programme Director for MSc Business Analytics – one of the most successful postgraduate programmes at Loughborough Business School.
Grammatoula Papaioannou is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Grammatoula’s early research interests stemmed from the topic of her PhD work. They focused on the optimisation of operations in the cellular manufacturing sector. This work was published in leading journals in the field, including a paper in European Journal of Operational Research.
Over the next several years, Grammatoula has gradually extended her research agenda to the area of supply chain management, with a focus on sustainability issues. An example is her work on food supply chains published in 2018 by International Journal of Production Research.
Close to the agenda of sustainability is the area of efficiency analysis and performance management of firms and organisations. Grammatoula’ s recent work in this area develops rigorous methodologies applicable to organisations with complex structures and approaches to the treatment of various types of performance data. Her latest research in this area was published in European Journal of Operational Research.
Grammatoula has supervised three PhD students to successful completion and she welcomes applications from students with interest in areas of:
- supply chain modelling
- management of firms
Grammatoula is actively collaborating with colleagues from Loughborough University and other universities from the UK and the EU and has presented her research at numerous UK and international conferences.
Grammatoula serves on the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Data Analysis Techniques and Strategies and is a Topic Editor of Sustainability (MDPI). She is also a regular reviewer for a number of leading academic journals.
- Papaioannou, G and Podinovski, VV (2022) Multicomponent production technologies with restricted allocations of shared inputs and outputs, European Journal of Operational Research.
- Despoudi, S, Papaioannou, G, Dani, S (2020) Producers responding to environmental turbulence in the Greek agricultural supply chain: Does buyer type matter?, Production Planning and Control, 32(14), pp. 1223-1236.
- Despoudi, S, Papaioannou, G, Saridakis, G, Dani, S (2018) Does collaboration pay in agricultural supply chain? An empirical approach, International Journal of Production Research, 56(13), pp. 4396-4417.
- Papaioannou, G and Wilson, JM (2012) A tabu search algorithm for the cell formation problem with part machine sequencing, Foundations of Computing and Decision Sciences, 37(2), pp.97-127.
- Papaioannou, G and Wilson, JM (2010) The Evolution of Cell Formation Problem Methodologies Based on Recent Studies (1997-2008): Review and Directions for Future Research, European Journal of Operational Research, 206(3), pp.509-521.