Networking with professional alumni
Come and network with Loughborough alumni to learn more about their careers and personal development.
The alumni attending are all part of the LB Strategic Advisory Board. They will each be giving a three-minute pitch about their career followed by an opportunity to chat on a one-to-one basis.
Contact and booking details
- Ruth Cufflin
- Email address
Learn more about the alumni attending.
Management Science, 1987 to 1991
- IBM sponsored student. Placement year with Rexam PLC for new factory project in Netherlands. Took broad set of options including 'Venture Capital' module; directly led to graduate role with 3i.
- 21 year venture capital and private equity career in UK and Europe.
- 10 years as private investor and Chair of software and data entrepreneur-led growth businesses in UK, Italy, Switzerland, Finland, Germany, Singapore, Japan and USA.
- Particular interest in entrepreneurship, international market entry and growth strategy, data analytics, financial services, sustainability and transition to net zero, ‘tech for good’ impact investing.
International Business (with German), 1999 to 2003
- Had a career predominantly in HR/people roles across multiple sectors (financial services, FMCG, healthcare) and organisations of different sizes and scales (from 120 to 120,000).
- For the last 10+ years has had a global remit with responsibility for all things people-related in up to 40 countries.
- Currently VP of People, Culture & Talent for Liberis, a global FinTech based in London.
Economics, 1989 to 1992
- After graduating he joined venture capital company 3i and stayed at 3i for 13 years, with the highlight being opening up a 3i US West Coast office in California, where he worked for 5 years.
- Returned to the UK in 2004 and joined an ex-colleague to do a buyout and set up their own venture capital firm in 2006. This business successfully went public in London 2016 and now is a member of the FTSE 250 with a portfolio value in excess of £2billion.
- He remains on the Board of Molten Ventures plc and lead their venture capital business. He is chair of a related foundation, which has a charitable mission to promote entrepreneurship.
- His skill set is around venture capital, entrepreneurship and technology.
Mechanical Engineering, 1981 to 1985
- Subsequently studied operations research and control theory at Churchill College, Cambridge.
- He has had a 35 year international career with Rolls-Royce plc. He led business units in the UK, USA and Germany, was Group Director of Corporate Planning and finally led the Rolls-Royce Digital business, responsible 24/365 for Rolls-Royce’s mission-critical real-time digital engine monitoring services.
- Retired early in 2017 and is now serving as independent chair of Mind Foundry Limited, he also holds a variety of other positions: an investor director at Paragraf on behalf of Parkwalk Advisors (part of IP Group plc); an investor director of Techjet Limited (an aerospace manufacturing company based in Israel), on behalf of Rolls-Royce plc. He is also a senior associate of NormannPartners, a strategic management consultancy. He is a serial angel investor and mentor to technology-based start-up companies.
Ergonomics, 1977 to 1981
- Jan has been an advisor to several Government organisations, including the Ministry of Justice, Department for Levelling UP, Housing and Communities and the Intellectual Property Office, Jan provides support to the Government’s transformation agenda, acting as a 'critical friend' to several major Programmes. She is also a Home Office NED and a lead reviewer for the Infrastructure and Projects Authority.
- She has been a successful management consultant for 25 years, as a Partner at PwC Consulting and then as a senior leader at IBM UK. She is passionate about the value of diversity in business and was the IBM UK Leadership team’s sponsor for people with disabilities.
- Her client-facing work focused on transformation, particularly enabling change through the introduction of new systems and ways of working.
- As an enthusiastic advocate of helping people to recognise and achieve their full potential, Jan has acted as coach and mentor throughout her career.
Banking and Finance, 1981; MPhil, 1983
- Currently Chair of Cashplus Bank, Senior Independent Director at PCF Bank and Chair of Risk Committee and Chair of Yourban and Yourcom (Swedish Finance business).
- Formerly CEO of three specialist lending banks over a period spanning 23 years – Sun Bank Plc, Heritable Bank Plc and Hampshire Trust Bank Plc.
- Experience as a business consultant in the banking industry. Early career spent in retail, corporate and international banking with Midland Bank.
- Experienced in banking, business strategy, regulation, governance and mergers and acquisitions. Mark has led a private equity backed management buyout/business start-up (Hampshire Trust Bank), has scaled banking businesses through periods of rapid and profitable growth.
- Led a business through a banking failure as a subsidiary of a failed Icelandic bank in 2008 (Heritable Bank).
- Led the launch of a digital savings business which grew to £4.8billion – Icesave (2006-2008).