Professor Stephen Case
Head of Social and Policy Studies
Professor of Criminology
I am Professor of Criminology in the Department of Social Sciences, having previously been an Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies at Swansea University. My primary research interests are youth justice, youth crime prevention and social justice, particularly the promotion of positive, children first ways of working with children embroiled in the Youth Justice System. I am a Director of the Standing Committee for Youth Justice and sit on the steering group of the Association of Panel Members.
I have conducted large-scale funded research for the Home Office, Youth Justice Board, Welsh Government and National Institute for Health and Social Care. In 2013, I was awarded the Howard League Research Medal (with my colleague Professor Kevin Haines) for an evaluation of the Swansea Bureau youth crime diversion programme and in 2008 I won the British Society of Criminology Brian Williams Prize for outstanding scholarship by a young criminologist. I am currently the Principal Investigator on a Leverhulme-funded project entitled 'Exploring the language barrier to engagement in youth justice assessment interview practice'.
I convene undergraduate modules focused on 'Youth Justice' and 'Introduction to Criminology and Social Policy'. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a founder member of the British Society of Criminology Learning and Teaching network.
- Case, S.P. and Hampson, K. (2019) Youth justice pathways to change: Drivers, challenges and opportunities. Youth Justice Journal. Early view
- Case, S.P. (2018) Youth Justice: A Critical Introduction. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Case, S.P. and Haines, K.R. (2018) Transatlantic ‘positive youth justice’: Coherent movement or disparate critique? Crime Prevention and Community Safety, 20(3): 208-222.
- Haines, K.R. and Case, S.P. (2018) The Future of Youth Justice. Youth Justice Journal, 18(2): 131-148.
- Case, S.P., Johnson, P., Manlow, D., Smith, R.S. and Williams, K.H. (2017) Criminology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Haines, K.R. and Case, S.P. (2015) Positive Youth Justice: Children First, Offenders Second. Bristol: Policy Press
- Case, S.P. and Haines, K.R. (2015) Children First, Offenders Second: The centrality of engagement in positive youth justice. The Howard Journal of Criminal Justice, 54 (2): 157-175.
- Case, S.P. and Haines, K. R. (2015) Children First, Offenders Second Positive Promotion: Reframing the Prevention Debate. Youth Justice Journal, 15 (3): 226-239.