Dr Vitor Castro PhD in Economics (University of Warwick); MSc in Economic Policy (University of Minho), UG degree in Economics (University of Minho)
Senior Lecturer in Economics
Deputy Director of Doctoral Programmes
Economic Growth and Business Cycles; Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Political Economy; Health Economics; Applied Econometrics.
Vitor Castro joined the School of Business and Economics at Loughborough University (UK) in December 2016 and has been teaching Corporate Finance, Research Communication and Applied Financial Economics.
Previously, he held posts as Lecturer (May 2009 – November 2016) and Teaching Assistant (October 2001 – April 2009) at the Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra (Portugal) where he thought Maths, Statistics and Econometrics. He was also a Research Assistant at the University of Minho (Portugal) from September 1999 to September 2001.
He holds a PhD in Economics from the University of Warwick (UK), a MSc in Economic Policy and an Undergraduate Degree in Economics both from the University of Minho (Portugal).
He has published several papers in peer reviewed international journals in the areas of Economics and Finance.
He is also co-author of a book on “Introduction to Econometrics”.
The role of fiscal and monetary authorities in stabilising the economic activity;
Determinants and timing of credit booms and financial crises;
Duration of economic events;
Relationship between, sugar consumption, sugar taxes, healthcare spending.
- Castro, Vítor and Martins, Rodrigo (2019). The political and institutional determinants of credit booms. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 81(5), 1144-1178.
- Agnello, Luca; Castro, Vitor; Sousa, Ricardo (2018). The legacy and the tyranny of time: Exit and re-entry of sovereigns to international capital markets. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 50(8), 1969-1994.
- Castro, Vitor (2017). Pure, white and deadly… expensive: A bitter sweetness in health care expenditure. Health Economics, 26(12), 1644-1666.
- Agnello, Luca; Castro, Vitor; Sousa, Ricardo (2015). Booms, busts and normal times in the housing market. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 33(1), 25-45.
- Agnello, Luca; Castro, Vitor; Sousa, Ricardo (2013). What determines the duration of a fiscal consolidation program? Journal of International Money and Finance, 37, 113-134.