Dr Joseph Betouras
Reader in the Theory of Quantum Materials
- Ptychion (with Highest Distinction) University of Athens, Greece (1990)
- MSc University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA (1992)
- PhD University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA (1997)
- Marie Curie Fellow and EPSRC Post-doc Oxford University (1997-2000)
- Scientific Assistant Antwerp University (2001-2003)
- Visiting Scientist Max Planck Institute for Physics of Complex Systems, Dresden (2003-2005)
- Visiting Scientist Lorentz Institute, Leiden University (2005-2006 for six months)
- SUPA Advanced Fellow University of St Andrews (2006-2009)
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader Loughborough University (2009-today)
- Quantum Criticality
- Strongly Correlated Systems
- Quantum Phase transitions
- Novel materials
Some recent publications:
- “Multicritical Fermi surface topological transitions” with D. Efremov, A. Shtyk, A. Rost, C. Chamon and A. P. Mackenzie, arXiv:1810.13392 (2018).
- “Novel phases in twisted bilayer graphene at magic angles as a result of van Hove singularities and interactions” with Y. Sherkunov, Phys. Rev. B 98, 205151 (2018).
- “Effects of Lifshitz transitions in ferromagnetic superconductors: the case of URhGe” with Y.Sherkunov and A. V. Chubukov, Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 097001 (2018).
- “Nematic phase in a two-dimensional Hubbard model at weak coupling and finite temperature” with S. Slizovskiy and P. Rodriguez-Lopez, Phys. Rev. B 98, 075126 (2018).
- “Entanglement scaling and spatial correlations of the transverse field Ising model with perturbations” with R. Cole and F. Pollmann, Phys. Rev. B 95, 214410 (2017)
- "Thermodynamics of the classical spin-ice model with nearest neighbour interactions using the Wang-Landau algorithm", with M. V. Ferreyra, G. Giordano, R. A. Borzi and S. A. Grigera, European Physical Journal B 89, 51 (2016).
- "Magnetic fluctuations and specific heat in NaxCoO2 near a Lifshitz transition", with Sergey Slizovskiy and Andrey V. Chubukov, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 066403 (2015).
- “Effect of paramagnetic fluctuations on a Fermi surface topological transition in two dimensions” with S. Slizovskiy, S. T. Carr and J. Quintanilla Phys. Rev. B 90, 165110 (2014).
- “Distinct magnetic phase-transition at the surface of an antiferromagnet” with S. Langridge, G. M. Watson, D. Gibbs, N. I. Gidopoulos, F. Pollmann, M. W. Long, C. Vettier and G. H. Lander Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 167201 (2014).
- “Non-Landau damping of magnetic excitations in systems with localized and itinerant electrons” with A. V. Chubukov and D. V. Efremov, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 037202 (2014).
- “Nonlinear magnetization of graphene” with S. Slizovskiy Phys. Rev. B 86, 125440 (2012).
- “Fermionic quantum dimer and fully-packed loop models on the square lattice” with F. Pollmann, K. Shtengel and P. Fulde Phys. Rev. B 83, 155117 (2011).
- “Lifshitz transitions and crystallization of fully polarized dipolar fermions in an anisotropic two-dimensional lattice” with S. T. Carr and J. Quintanilla Phys. Rev. B 82, 045110 (2010).
- “First-Order versus Unconventional Phase Transitions in Three-Dimensional Dimer Models” with S. Papanikolaou Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 045701 (2010).
- Director of the Centre for the Science of Materials
- Research Associates:
Dr Yury Sherkunov
Dr Peter Mason
Dr Marios Georgiou (visiting)
- PhD students (main supervisor):
Chris Briggs (2nd year)
Alkistis Zervou (3rd year)
Ahmed Tarkhany (passed the viva)
- PhD students (second supervisor)
Mumnuna Qureshi (thesis submitted)