EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Embedded Intelligence
This £13.6M EPSRC/industry/University jointly sponsored Centre is the first of its kind in Europe and addresses high priority areas such as autonomous complex manufactured products and systems, functional materials with high performance systems, data-to-knowledge solutions (e.g. digital healthcare and digitally connected citizens), and engineering for industry, life and health.
This Centre will deliver well-trained, commercially aware, experienced graduates who shall alleviate the shortage of skilled professionals in the following thematic areas:
- Device design, specification of sensors and measurement devices (power scavenging, processing, wired & wireless communications, design for low power, condition monitoring);
- Packaging and integration technologies (reliability and robustness, physical and soft integration of devices, sub-components and wider system environment);
- Software (low-level, embedded, system-level, database integration, service oriented architectures, services design);
- Advanced and hybrid manufacturing processes and solutions for embedding, process consolidation technologies, biomimetics, and cradle-to-cradle for sustainable production;
- Applications engineering (design and implementation of embedded technologies for in-time, in-line products, processes and supply chains; product and process design for embedded intelligence, requirements capture and implementation validation);
- System services: (i) service foundations (e.g., data and process integration and semantic enhanced service discovery); (ii) service composition (e.g. composability analyses, dynamic and adaptive processes,); (iii) service management and monitoring (e.g. self: -configuring, -adapting, -healing, -optimising and -protecting), and (iv) service design and development (e.g. governance across supply chains).
This new Centre is delighted to offer 15 studentships at Loughborough in the areas related to Embedded Intelligence. An industry co-sponsored enhanced stipend of up to £17,000 pa is offered, together with a personal budget of £10,000 per student to support their specific training needs.