Dr Baihua Li
Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor, PhD, MSc, BSc, FHEA)
I am a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in the Department of Computer Science and a member of Centre of Data Science, Loughborough University. I am a member of Vision, AI, Autonomous and Human Centred Systems Research Group. I received a PhD degree in Computer Science from Aberystwyth University, and MSc and BSc degrees in Electronic Engineering from Tianjin University, China (one of the top 15 universities in China).
Research: I have over 15 years track record in computer vision, machine learning, pattern recognition and signal/image processing. I have wide research interests. Primary research topics include human gesture and activity recognition, motion tracking, object recognition, sensors, robot vision, medical image analysis and data intelligence; advanced computer graphics, visualization, virtural reality, mixed reality and multimedia technology are secondary strands of my research.
Publication: More than 70 papers have been published in high impact journals and conferences. such as publications in recent years in the most prestigious scientific journals in my research area: IEEE Trans. on Cybernetics, IEEE Trans. Industrial Informatics, IEEE Trans. System, Man, Cybernetics, IEEE Trans. Biomed Eng., Pattern Recognition, Information Sciences, and IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. Selected publications
Enterprise: My research emphasizes innovations and novel applications of computer vision, machine learning, pattern recognition and deep learning techniques for human motion analysis, robotics, human computer interaction, surveillance, ambient assisted living, machine vision, intelligent systems, big data, IoT and sensor data fusion. I work with industry partners on a number of projects funded by Innovate UK, Newton Fundand natioanl/international industry. My expertise in human motion tracking and activity recognition leads to a commercial product "Dance UK" (reported by BBC, S4C on TV evening news, Independent, Western Mail, Cambrian News, Dailypost and websites).My research has generated and will continually produce social and economic impact.
Grants: I contributed to a number of projects funded by EPSRC, Innovate UK, Newton, NHS, TSB and industry. Recent funding obtained (as PI & Co-I) includes four EPSRC PhD CDT-EI projects sponsored by industry(£450K), AI and bio-sensors for sleep breathing disorder diagnosis and rehabilitation (£540k), AI for risk modelling in commodity supply chain (£206k), Automated Football Action Event Detection (IUK,total £359K), Air Quality Monitoring (Newton, total £470K), Agricultural Robot (IUK, £388K; Total £500k), Biofeedback for Amputee Gait" (EPSRC National Productivity Investment Fund, £78K), and Upper Limb MSK Rehibilitation funded NHS England Regional Innovation Fund (total £130K). These projects aim to develop novel algorithms and technology in AI, computer vision, deep learning, robotics and intelligent systems. The developed technology will help to solve a number of theoretical and practical challenges for modelling, reasoning and pattern recognition required in real world applications, e.g. machine understanding of human activity and behaviours, autonomous underwater vehicles, HCI, human movement analysis in sports, biofeedback and myoelectric control, agricultural robots, automation, ambient intelligence, cyber security, surveillance, assistive living and handwriting document analysis etc.
- Computer vision
- Machine learning
- Deep learning
- Pattern recognition
- Human posture and activity recognition from visual and wearable sensors
- Movement intention and musculoskeletal function analysis in sports science and rehabilitation
- Autonomous underwater robots and driverless vehicles
- Robot vision
- Human-computer interaction
- Medical image processing
- Data-driven disease diagnosis
- Big data, data mining
- Intelligent systems
- Sensor data fusion and IoT
- Signal and image processing
- Data modelling and prediction models
- Computer graphics, virtual reality and visualization technology
- Sensory and vision systems for food manufacturing automation. £204K, IUK Knowledge Transfer. 2020-2022.
- AI-based capability to automate the extraction of data from documents processed by the financial services community. £146K. KTP. 2020 ~ 2021.
- Connected and intelligent device for personalised diagnostic, treatment and management of sleep breathing disorders. SnooZeal-Connect. £540k. Innovate UK. 2019~2021.
- AI and machine learning technology for credit modelling in commodity supply chain. Innovate UK, £205K,744. 2019 ~ 2021.
- Automated football action event detection. Innovate UK, £359K. 2019~2020.
- "InkTracer - Closing the Gap Between Analog and Digital Handwriting to Enable New Products". Innovate UK, £223K. 2019 ~ 2020.
- "Triple-Network Air Quality Monitoring and Carbon Credit Trading Platform for Sustainable Urban Environments". Newton Fund £349K. 2018 ~2020.
- "Building embedded intelligence for autonomous underwater vehicle", £40k, EPSRC CDT-EI. Sept. 2018 ~ Aug. 2022.
- "Deep Learning for vision-based football player performance analysis”, EPSRC and industry sponsored PhD project. Sept. 2018 ~ Aug. 2022.
- "Remote Monitoring and Shared Decision Making for Upper Limb MSK Conditions Using MS Kinect", NHS England Regional Innovation Fund, £130k. 2015 ~ 2017.
- "Hand-drawn Document Cognitive Systems", EPSRC and industry sponsored PhD studentship. April 2018 ~ March 2022.
- "AgriRobot: Autonomous Agricultural Robot System for Precision Spraying", Innovate UK, £500k. 2018 ~ 2020.
- "InkTracer - Closing the Gap Between Analog and Digital Handwriting to Enable New Products". Innovate UK £223K. 2018 ~ 2020.
- "EMG-based Biofeedback to Improve Amputee Gait", EPSRC National Productivity Investment Fund. CoI, £78,434. Oct. 2017 ~Sept. 2021.
- "Supper Resolution Videos from High Resolution", £40K, EPSRC and ARM sponsored PhD project. July 2016 ~ June 2020.
- "Developing Intelligent and Interactive HVAC Pipe Network", Tata sponsored (£13k) PhD studentship, 2017~ 2021.
- "Virtual Reality Gaming to Improve Motor Control in Autism", MIMIT-Manchester Integrating Medicine and Innovative Technology. Co-I, £24k. 2014 ~2015.
- "A Face Mask for Real-time Facial Motion Capture", Technology Strategy Board, £20k. 2009 ~2010.
- "Automatic Detection of Features in Retinal Images to Improve Diagnosis of Eye Diseases", EPSRC, Co-supervision, £90k. Sept. 2012 ~ Aug. 2015.
- "Dance: UK"- a commercial game product was developed by this knowledge transfer project, Baihua Li (RA), Funder: Broadsword Interactive Ltd. The project has been widely reported by media, e.g. BBC, Independent, S4C, etc. 2003 ~ 2004.
PDRA, RA and PhD Vacancies:
- AI Research Engineer. 21st January 2020
- Machine Vision Scientist for food manufacturing automation. Nov. 2019.
- Research Associate in machine learning. Project: Developing AI and machine learning technology for credit modelling in commodity supply chain. Funded by Innovate UK (KTP). (deadline 14 Aug 2019)
- Research Associate in computer vision and deep learning. Project: Automated football action event detection.Funded by Innovate UK (deadline 5th July 2019).
- Research Associate in Computer Science for off-line handwritten text regonision. Funded by Innovate UK (deadline 9th June 2019).
- Research Associate in machine learning. Project: Connected and intelligent device for personalised diagnostic, treatment and management of sleep breathing disorders. Funded by Innovate UK. (deadline 17nd May 2019)
- Research Associate in machine learning. Project: Triple-Network Air Quality Monitoring and Carbon Credit Trading Platform for Sustainable Urban Environments. Funded by Newton Fund. (deadline 2nd May 2019)
- Research Associate in Robotics and computer vision. Project: AgriRobot: Autonomous Agricultural Robot System for Precision Spraying. Funded by Innovate UK. (deadline 2nd May 2019)
- Automated football event detection. We are recruting a PDRA in computer vision and deep learning. Deadline 15th Jan. 2019
- Computer vision and deep learning for underwater vehicle navigation and control (Deadline 1st March 2018)
- AI/machine learning based algorithm and software development for action event detection and football player analytics: Funded PhD studentship with StatMetrix (Deadline 31st Jan. 2018)
PDRA/PhD recruitment: we are looking for postdoctoral Research Associates and PhD students in AI, computer vision, robotics, machine learning and deep learning with applications in industry automation, intelligent systems, healthcare, agriculture, environment, human motion analysis, sports, driverless vehicles, surveillance, finance and AAL. Please contact Dr. Li (email@example.com) me if you are interested.
CSC (China Scholarship Council) funding: Loughborough University will support CSC applications and provide full tuition fee scholarships to students who are in receipt of CSC funding. Please contact me for details.
PhD application online https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/research-applications/
PhD/MSc IELTS English requirement: 6.5 overall and at least 6.0 in each individual element https://www.lboro.ac.uk/international/apply/english-language-requirements/
Tire 2 visa for international PDRA and Tire 4 for PhD https://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/hr/immigration/
English Language requirement for Tier 2:
Current PhD Students:
- Yang Zhou. Building embedded intelligence for autonomous underwater vehicle. Funded by EPSRC CDT-EI sponsored by Witted Srl. Principle Supervisor. Oct. 2018 – Sept. 2022.
- Jake O'Connell. Deep Learning for vision-based football player performance analysis. Funded by EPSRCCDT-EI sponsored by Statmetrix. Principle Supervisor. Sept. 2018 – Aug. 2022.
- Baao Xie. Movement intension recognition and prediction. PI, Jan. 2017 ~Dec. 2019.
- Carl Robinson. Pattern classification and predictive model for sEMG myoelectric control for upper limb amputees. Principle Supervisor. Oct. 2015 – Sept. 2019.
- Hanna Mahmood. Text recognition from natural images. Principle Supervisor. 2013 – 2018.
- Ye Lie. Medical image processing (MRI, DTI) and statistical data mining. Co-Supervisor. Jan. 2017 ~. Dec. 2019.
- Zhao Gao. Supper resolution videos from high resolution. Funded by EPSRC CDT_EI sponsored by ARM. Co-Supervisor. July 2016 - June 2020.
- Vijay Srikandarajah. Developing intelligent and interactive HVAC pipe network. Sponsored by Tata. Co-Supervisor. April 2017~ March 2020.
- Natalie Egginton. Biofeedback for rehabilitation of lower-limb amputees. Funded by EPSRC. Co-Supervisor. Oct. 2017 ~ Sept. 2021.
Successful PhD Completions:
- Dar'ya Guarnera. Image based surface reflectance remapping for consistent and tool independent material appearance. PI. Oct. 2013 -Sept. 2017.
- Yahya Al-Fadhili. Intelligent Computational Techniques and Virtual Environment for Understanding Cerebral Visual Impairment Patients. Oct. 2014 - Sept. 2017.
- John Darby. 3D Human Motion Tracking and Pose Estimation using Probabilistic Activity Models. PI. Sept 2006 – June 2010, MMU.
- Daniel Leightley, 3D Human Action Recognition and Motion Analysis using Selective Representations. PI. Sept. 2012~Dec. 2015 MMU.
- Choon-Ching Ng. Face Age Estimation using Wrinkles Patterns. Co-I. Sept 2012 - Oct. 2015, MMU.
- Muhammad Salman Haleem. Automatic detection of features in retinal images to improve diagnosis of eye disease. Co-I. Sept. 2011- May 2015 MMU.
PhD project areas and topics:
- Computer vision and pattern recognition
- Deep learning
- Machine learnign
- Driverless vehicles
- Face/gesture/activity recognition and behaviour understanding
- Robot vision
- Autonomous underwater vehicle
- Movement performance analysis in sports
- Movement intention recognition
- Quantitative assessment of motor control functions and diagnosis of diseases
- Medical image processing
- Data driven disease diagnosis
- Big data, data mining
- sensor data fusion and IoT
- Intelligent systems
- Advanced computer graphics, virtual reality and visualization technology
PDRA (postdoctoral Research Associates):
- 4 more PDRAs in computer vision, machine learning, deep learning and robotics, 2019 - 2021.
- A new PDRA funded by Innovate UK– Automated football action event detection, 2019-2020.
- One PDRA funded by Innovate UK – AgriRobot, 2018~2020. (Co-I)
- Dr. John Darby. 3-year PDRA, Jan. 2011 ~ Dec. 2014. (PI)
Teaching expertise and modules:
- Machine Vision
- Machine Learning
- Image and signal processig
- Server-side Programming
- Programming for WWW
- Computer Graphics
- Computer Games Programming and Design
- Advanced 3D Modelling and Animation
- Virtual 3D Environment
- Multimedia Development
- Foundation Computing
- Team Project
Privious (~2014) student projects: http://cobl3.sci-project.lboro.ac.uk/bli
- Postgraduate Tutor for Advanced Computer Science and Internet Computing and Network Security (2018~)
- Director of Research Degree Programme of Computer Science (2016-2018)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of BMVA (British Machine Vision Association)
- Member of European Neural Network Society
- Member of EUCog (European Network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems, Interaction and Robotics)
- Member of ZEMCH (Zero-energy Mass Custom Home Network)
- Member of Society of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour (AISB)
- IEEE Trans. on Cybernetics
- Pattern Recognition
- IEEE Trans. Industrial Informatics
- IEEE Transactions on System, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B
- IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- Image and Vision Computing
- Journal of Applied Mathematics
- Journal IET Computer Vision
- Int. Conf. Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition & Image Processing
Conference Program Committee member:
- Technical Program Chair, UK RAS (Robotics and Autonomous Systems) Conference, Jan. 2019.
- 10th Int. Symposium on Computer Science in Sport, 2015.
- IEEE SMC 2013
- Int. Conf. Digital Media and Digital Content Management (DMDCM) 2012
- Int. Conf. Digital Media and Digital Content Management (DMDCM) 2010
- Int. Conf. Face Behaviour and Interaction (FBI), 2009.
- Cybergames, 2007.
- 7th World Multi-Conf. Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, 2003.
- 9th Int. Conf. Information Systems, Analysis & Synthesis, and Computer, Communication & Control Technologies. Florida USA, 2003.
- Academic: Carnegie Mellon University (US), University of Manchester, University of Reading, Tianjin University (China), Harvard Medical School - Boston (US), Jiangsu University (China), Aberystwyth University, Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Westminster etc.
- Industry: Witted Srl (in Italy), Statmetrix Ltd, Innova Intregra, Guangyi Mechanical & Electrical Co. Ltd (China), Surface Intelligence Ltd., ARM, Zedsen Ltd, Quensus Ltd., MIRA Rehab Ltd., Optos Ltd. Scotland, Consard Ltd. Broadsword Interactive Ltd.
- NHS: Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Central Manchester University Hospitals, Bolton National Health Service Foundation Trust, East Midlands Academic Health Science Network, NHS Lothian.