Dr Baihua Li
Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor, PhD, MSc, BSc, FHEA)
I am a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in the Department of Computer Science and a member of Centre of Data Science, Loughborough University. I am a member of Vision, AI, Autonomous and Human Centred Systems Research Group. I received a PhD degree in Computer Science from Aberystwyth University, and MSc and BSc degrees in Electronic Engineering from Tianjin University, China (one of the top 15 universities in China).
Research: I have over 15 years track record in computer vision, machine learning, pattern recognition and signal/image processing. I have wide research interests. Primary research topics include human gesture and activity recognition, motion tracking, object recognition, sensors, robot vision, medical image analysis and data intelligence; advanced computer graphics, visualization, virtural reality, mixed reality and multimedia technology are secondary strands of my research.
Publication: More than 70 papers have been published in high impact journals and conferences. such as publications in recent years in the most prestigious scientific journals in my research area: IEEE Trans. on Cybernetics, IEEE Trans. Industrial Informatics, IEEE Trans. System, Man, Cybernetics, IEEE Trans. Biomed Eng., Pattern Recognition, Information Sciences, and IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. Selected publications
Enterprise: My research emphasizes innovations and novel applications of computer vision, pattern recognition and deep learning techniques for human motion analysis, human computer interaction, surveillance, ambient assisted living, machine vision and intelligent systems. I work with industry partners on a number of projects funded by Innovate UK, Newton Fundand natioanl/international industry bodies. My expertise in human motion tracking and activity recognition leads to a commercial product "Dance UK" (reported by BBC, S4C on TV evening news, Independent, Western Mail, Cambrian News, Dailypost and websites).My research has generated and will continually produce social and economic impact.
Grants: I contributed to a number of projects funded by EPSRC, Innovate UK, Newton, NHS, TSB and industry. Recent funding obtained (as PI & Co-I) includes four EPSRC PhD CDT-EI projects sponsored by industry (£450K), Automated Football Action Event Detection (IUK,total £359K), Air Quality Monitoring (Newton, total £470K), Agricultural Robot (IUK, £388K; Total £500k), Biofeedback for Amputee Gait" (EPSRC National Productivity Investment Fund, £78K), and Upper Limb MSK Rehibilitation funded NHS England Regional Innovation Fund (total £130K). These projects aim to develop novel algorithms and technology in AI, computer vision, deep learning, robotics and intelligent systems. The developed technology will help to solve a number of theoretical and practical challenges for modelling, reasoning and pattern recognition required in real world applications, e.g. machine understanding of human activity and behaviours, autonomous underwater vehicles, HCI, human movement analysis in sports, biofeedback and myoelectric control, agricultural robots, automation, ambient intelligence, cyber security, surveillance, assistive living and handwriting document analysis etc.
- Computer vision, pattern recognition
- Machine learning, deep learning
- Human posture and activity recognition from visual and sensor data
- Movement intention and musculoskeletal motion analysis in sports science and rehabilitation
- Robot vision and autonomous underwater vehicle
- Human-computer interaction
- Medical image processing, data-driven diagnosis
- Computer graphics, virtual reality and visualization technology
- Big data, data mining
- Intelligent systems
- Signal and image processing
- Time-series data modelling
- "Automated football action event detection", PI, funded by Innovate UK. Total £359K. 2019~2020.
- "Triple-Network Air Quality Monitoring and Carbon Credit Trading Platform for Sustainable Urban Environments", funded by Newton Fund and Chinese Academy of Sciences, total £470K (Newton: £349K), Co-I. Four partners: Loughborough University, Satochi Systems Ltd, Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology (SIAT)-Chinese Academy of Sciences, EEGSmart Intelligent Technology Co. Ltd., 2018-2020.
- "Building embedded intelligence for autonomous underwater vehicle", EPSRC CDT-EI (industry sponsor Witted Srl). PI, total £117k (industry contribution £40k). Sept. 2018 – Aug. 2022.
- "Deep Learning for vision-based football player performance analysis”, EPSRC and Statmetrix sponsored project. PI, total £117k (industry contribution £40k). Sept. 2018 – Aug. 2022.
- "Remote Monitoring and Shared Decision Making for Upper Limb MSK Conditions Using MS Kinect", NHS England Regional Innovation Fund (NHS-IHW-COLAB-2142). PI, £6k (total £130k, Central Manchester University Hospitals, MIRA Rehab Ltd. and LU). Jan. 2015 – Dec. 2017.
- "Hand-drawn Document Cognitive Systems", EPSRC and industry (Surface Intelligence) sponsored PhD studentship. £40k (total £117k). April 2018 – March 2022.
- "AgriRobot: Autonomous Agricultural Robot System for Precision Spraying", funded by Innovate UK and Jiangsu-UK Industrial Challenge Programme (1704 EE JIANGUK 104016-572268), Co-I. Total £840k (Innovate UK £499,964, £126,370 to LU). April 2018—March 2020.
- "EMG-based Biofeedback to Improve Amputee Gait", EPSRC National Productivity Investment Fund (EP/R512576/1). Co-I, £78,434. Oct. 2017 -Sept. 2021.
- "Supper Resolution Videos from High Resolution", EPSRC and ARM sponsored PhD project (J15043). Co-I, £48k (total ~£125k), July 2016 - June 2020.
- "Developing Intelligent and Interactive HVAC Pipe Network", Funder: Tata (£13k), School of Civil Engineering, School of Science. PhD studentship, April 2017- March 2021.
- "Virtual Reality Gaming to Improve Motor Control in Autism", MIMIT-Manchester Integrating Medicine and Innovative Technology. Co-I, £24k. 2014-2015.
- "A Face Mask for Real-time Facial Motion Capture", Technology Strategy Board, Co-I, £20k. 2009-2010.
- "Automatic Detection of Features in Retinal Images to Improve Diagnosis of Eye Diseases", EPSRC, Co-supervision, £90k. Sept. 2012 – Aug. 2015.
- "Dance: UK"- a commercial game product was developed by this knowledge transfer project, Baihua Li (RA), Funder: Broadsword Interactive Ltd. The project has been widely reported by media, e.g. BBC, Independent, S4C, etc. 2003-2004.
- "Surface Electromyography (sEMG) control for upper limb amputees", PhD studentship, PI, Oct. 2015 -Sept. 2019.
- "Computerised Human Motion Measurement and Analysis for the Development of Home-based Automated Rehabilitation Assessment Tools". PI, Funder:Knowledge Exchange & Innovation Fund MMU, NHS Lothian and Consard Ltd. Sept. 2012 – Sept. 2015.
- "Vision-based Object Detection, Tracking for Intelligent Human Computer Interaction". one 3year PDRA, PI, MMU RAE Fund. 2012-2015.
- "3D Human Motion Tracking and Pose Estimation using Probabilistic Activity Models", PI, Sept. 2006 – Aug. 2009.
- Automated football action event detection, funded by Innovate UK. We are recruting a PDRA in computer vision and deep learning. Please contact Dr Baihua Li (email@example.com). Deadline 15th Jan. 2019
- Computer vision and deep learning for underwater vehicle navigation and control (Deadline 1st March 2018)
- AI/machine learning based algorithm and software development for action event detection and football player analytics: Funded PhD studentship with StatMetrix (Deadline 31st Jan. 2018)
PhD/PDRA recruitment: we are looking for PhD and postdoctoral Research Associates in the areas of computer vision, robot control, machine learning, deep learning and driverless vehicles. Please contact if you are interested.
CSC (China Scholarship Council) funding: Scholarships will be available for Chinese students starting PhD studies from October 2018. Loughborough University will provide full tuition fee scholarships to students who are in receipt of CSC funding.
Current PhD Students:
- Yang Zhou. Building embedded intelligence for autonomous underwater vehicle. Funded by EPSRC CDT-EI sponsored by Witted Srl. Principle Supervisor. Oct. 2018 – Sept. 2022.
- Jake O'Connell. Deep Learning for vision-based football player performance analysis. Funded by EPSRCCDT-EI sponsored by Statmetrix. Principle Supervisor. Sept. 2018 – Aug. 2022.
- Baao Xie. Movement intension recognition and prediction. PI, Jan. 2017 ~Dec. 2019.
- Carl Robinson. Pattern classification and predictive model for sEMG myoelectric control for upper limb amputees. Principle Supervisor. Oct. 2015 – Sept. 2019.
- Hanna Mahmood. Text recognition from natural images. Principle Supervisor. 2013 – 2018.
- Ye Lie. Medical image processing (MRI, DTI) and statistical data mining. Co-Supervisor. Jan. 2017 ~. Dec. 2019.
- Zhao Gao. Supper resolution videos from high resolution. Funded by EPSRC CDT_EI sponsored by ARM. Co-Supervisor. July 2016 - June 2020.
- Vijay Srikandarajah. Developing intelligent and interactive HVAC pipe network. Sponsored by Tata. Co-Supervisor. April 2017~ March 2020.
- Natalie Egginton. Biofeedback for rehabilitation of lower-limb amputees. Funded by EPSRC. Co-Supervisor. Oct. 2017 ~ Sept. 2021.
Successful PhD Completions:
- Dar'ya Guarnera. Image based surface reflectance remapping for consistent and tool independent material appearance. PI. Oct. 2013 -Sept. 2017.
- Yahya Al-Fadhili. Intelligent Computational Techniques and Virtual Environment for Understanding Cerebral Visual Impairment Patients. Oct. 2014 - Sept. 2017.
- John Darby. 3D Human Motion Tracking and Pose Estimation using Probabilistic Activity Models. PI. Sept 2006 – June 2010, MMU.
- Daniel Leightley, 3D Human Action Recognition and Motion Analysis using Selective Representations. PI. Sept. 2012~Dec. 2015 MMU.
- Choon-Ching Ng. Face Age Estimation using Wrinkles Patterns. Co-I. Sept 2012 - Oct. 2015, MMU.
- Muhammad Salman Haleem. Automatic detection of features in retinal images to improve diagnosis of eye disease. Co-I. Sept. 2011- May 2015 MMU.
Postgraduate project topics:
- Computer vision and pattern recognition
- Deep learning
- Face/gesture/activity recognition and behaviour understanding
- Robot vision
- Autonomous underwater vehicle
- Movement analysis in sports
- Movement intention recognition
- Quantitative assessment of motor control functions and diagnosis of diseases
- Medical image processing and data driven diagnosis
- Big data
- Intelligent systems
- Advanced computer graphics, virtual reality and visualization technology
PDRA (postdoctoral Research Associates):
- A new PDRA funded by Innovate UK– Automated football action event detection, 2019-2020 (PI)
- One PDRA funded by Innovate UK – AgriRobot, 2018~2020. (Co-I)
- Dr. John Darby. 3-year PDRA, Jan. 2011 ~ Dec. 2014. (PI)
Teaching expertise and modules:
- Machine Vision
- Machine Learning
- Image and signal processig
- Server-side Programming
- Programming for WWW
- Computer Graphics
- Computer Games Programming and Design
- Advanced 3D Modelling and Animation
- Virtual 3D Environment
- Multimedia Development
- Foundation Computing
- Team Project
Some privious (~2014) student projects: http://cobl3.sci-project.lboro.ac.uk/bli
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of BMVA (British Machine Vision Association)
- Member of European Neural Network Society
- Member of EUCog (European Network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems, Interaction and Robotics)
- Member of ZEMCH (Zero-energy Mass Custom Home Network)
- Member of Society of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour (AISB)
- IEEE Trans. on Cybernetics
- Pattern Recognition
- IEEE Trans. Industrial Informatics
- IEEE Transactions on System, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B
- IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- Image and Vision Computing
- Journal of Applied Mathematics
- Journal IET Computer Vision
- Int. Conf. Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition & Image Processing
Conference Program Committee member:
- 10th Int. Symposium on Computer Science in Sport, 2015.
- IEEE SMC 2013
- Int. Conf. Digital Media and Digital Content Management (DMDCM) 2012
- Int. Conf. Digital Media and Digital Content Management (DMDCM) 2010
- Int. Conf. Face Behaviour and Interaction (FBI), 2009.
- Cybergames, 2007.
- 7th World Multi-Conf. Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, 2003.
- 9th Int. Conf. Information Systems, Analysis & Synthesis, and Computer, Communication & Control Technologies. Florida USA, 2003.
- Academic: Carnegie Mellon University (US), University of Manchester, University of Reading, Tianjin University (China), Harvard Medical School - Boston (US), Jiangsu University (China), Aberystwyth University, Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Westminster etc.
- Industry: Witted Srl (in Italy), Statmetrix Ltd, Innova Intregra, Guangyi Mechanical & Electrical Co. Ltd (China), Surface Intelligence Ltd., ARM, Zedsen Ltd, Quensus Ltd., MIRA Rehab Ltd., Optos Ltd. Scotland, Consard Ltd. Broadsword Interactive Ltd.
- NHS: Central Manchester University Hospitals, Bolton National Health Service Foundation Trust, East Midlands Academic Health Science Network, NHS Lothian.