Dr Huaiyu Yang is a Senior Lecturer in Biocrystallisation in the Department of Chemical Engineering. His research is always multi-disciplinary, including; biopharmaceuticals crystallisation; downstream manufacturing; crystallisation of small organic molecules; interface phenomena; nanotechnologies; and; stable and unstable phase diagrams. Before he joined Loughborough as a lecturer, he spent his years at Tianjin University, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Strathclyde University and Imperial College London for undergraduate study, PhD and postdoc research.
Dr Huaiyu Yang has supervised 5 PhD students, 3 postdocs, and currently, and hosted 3 academic visitors and Dr Huaiyu Yang is a Member of the EPSRC ECF Early Career Forum in manufacturing, EPSRC Peer Review College, and Youth Editor for Particuology and Green Chemical Engineering.
Research grants and projects
- PI, Loughborough EPG fund: New generation technology for biopharmaceutical manufacturing, 2022-2023 £180,000,
- PI, Royal Society International Exchanges: Study of Protein Crystal Nucleation and Growth Theory through Prenucleation Cluster in Solution, (IEC\NSFC\201432), 2021-2024, £10,000
- PI, EPSRC project: Regenerative biocrystallisation, EP/T005378/1, 2019-2023, £253,000
- Co-PI, NSFC Project: Advanced Fluorescent technology on detecting the formation and transformation of pre-nucleation cluster, 2019-2021, £70,000
- Co-PI, Loughborough EPG Project:CrystEye, 2018-2019, £91,000
- PI, Lars hiertas Minne research project: Crystallisation process in LLPS, £2,000
Available PhD positions
PhD positions are available in the areas of all kinds of crystallisation, including protein crystallisation, cocrystallisation, water treatment, cell culture, cell crystallisation, industrial crystallisation, crystallisation process optimisation, etc.
Please send your CV and a cover letter as attachments to Dr Huaiyu Yang.
Current teaching responsibilities:
- Module of Chemical and Biochemical Product Design (module leader, CGD059/CGP059),
- Process Balance (CGA007)，
- Safety and Process Project Design (CGB001),
- Reaction Engineering (CGC035/CGC052),
- Downstream Processing (CGD062/CGP062),
- Final year design project,
- PDP project for BEng, MEng and MSc students
Papers (from the last 3 years):
- Lin Z, Tian W, Su Y, Yadav V, Yang H* (2023) Positive and negative effects of graphite flake and monolayer graphene oxide templates on protein crystallization Particuology 70, 27-34
- Ma Y, Niu Y, Yang H, Dai J, Lin J, Wang H, Wu S, Yin Q, Zhou L, Gong J*, (2022) Prediction and design of cyclodextrin inclusion complexes formation via machine learning-based strategies Chemical Engineering Science, 261, 117946
- Yu Q, Wang Y, Luo J, Yang H* (2022) Freeze-Dissolving Method: A Fast Green Technology for Producing Nanoparticles and Ultrafine Powder, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 10, 7825–7832
- Li L, Zhu X, Yang H, Liang B, Yuan L, Hu Y, Chen F, Han X* (2022) Phase-Field Model for Drug Release of Water-Swellable Filaments for Fused Filament Fabrication Molecular Pharmaceutics 19, 2854-2867
- Deng Y, Chen Y, Xie F, Tang J, Zhang R, Yang H, Jiang Y, Liu S (2022) Minoxidil Multi-Component Crystals with Aromatic Carboxylic Acids: Theoretical Calculation and Structural Analysis Crystal Growth and Design 22, 3941–3953
- Sun M, Yang H*, Miao X, Wang W, Wang J* (2022) Macromolecular protein crystallisation with biotemplate of live cells Scientific Reports 12, 1-10
- Tao T, Gao Z, Fang C, Zhang J, Xu J, Yang H*, Gong J* (2022) Enhancement of Protein Crystallization with the Application of Taylor Vortex and Poly (ionic liquid)s Chemical Engineering Science, 252, 117501
- Tian W, Rielly C, Yang H* (2021) Protein Crystallisation with Air Bubble Templates: Case of Gas-Liquid-Solid Interfaces CrystEngComm 23, 8159-8168
- Wang L, Yang H*, Sun Z, Bao Y, Yin Q (2021) Wet Milling, Seeding, and Ultrasound in the Optimization of the Oiling-Out Crystallization Process, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 60, 18452-18463
- Choi H, Wei Z, You J, Yang H, Zhang X* (2021) Effects of Chemical and Geometric Microstructures on the Crystallization of Surface Droplets during Solvent Exchange Langmuir 37, 5290-5298
- Zhang K, Li X, Wang Z, Li G, Ma B, Chen H, Li N, Yang H, Wang Y, Liu B* (2021) Systemic Expression, Purification, and Initial Structural Characterization of Bacteriophage T4 Proteins Without Known Structure Homologs, Frontiers in Microbiology 12, 674415
- Wang L, Bao Y, Sun Z, Pinfield V, Yin Q, Yang H* (2021) Investigation of agglomeration in the presence of oiling out in the antisolvent crystallization process Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 60, 4110-4119
- Shi P, Xu S, Yang H, Wu S, Tang W, Wang J, Gong J* (2021) Use of additives to regulate solute aggregation and direct conformational polymorph nucleation of pimelic acid, International Union of Crystallography 8, 161-167
- Zhang X*, Wei Z, Choi H, Hao H, Yang H* (2021) Oiling‐Out Crystallization of Beta‐Alanine on Solid Surfaces Controlled by Solvent Exchange, Advanced Materials Interfaces, 2001200
- Yu Q, Jia W, Pu J, Wang Y, Yang H* (2021) Cocrystallization of urea and succinic acid in “Nano-Crystallizer” Chemical Engineering Science 229, 116082
- Chen W, Cheng T, Khaw L, Li X, Yang H, Ouyang J, Heng J* (2021)Protein purification with nanoparticle-enhanced crystallisation, Separation and Purification Technology,255, 117384
- Si Z, Li A, Yan Y, Zhang X, Yang H* (2020) Interaction of Metastable Zone Width and Induction Time Based on Nucleation Potential, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 59, 22597-22604
- Li X, Chen W, Yang H, Yang Z, Heng J (2020) Protein crystal occurrence domains in selective protein crystallisation for bio-separation, CrystEngComm 22, 4566-4572
- Song Y, Jiang Y, Wu Y, Yang H,* Jiang Y* (2020) Polymers and solvents induced polymorphic selection and preferential orientation of pyrazinamide crystal, Crystal Growth & Design 20, 352-361
- Chen W, Park J, Kong F, Li X, Yang H, Heng J* (2020) High protein-loading silica template for heterogeneous protein crystallisation, Crystal Growth & Design 20, 866-873
- Chen W, Yang H, Heng J* (2020) The Handbook of Continuous Crystallization, The Royal Society of Chemistry, ISBN: 978-1-78801-214-0
- Yang H, ter Horst J*, (2017) Crystal Nucleation of Small Organic Molecules in New Perspectives on Mineral Nucleation and Growth, Springer, ISBN: 978-3-319-45667-6
Presentations (from the last 3 years):
- Yang H, 2022 Oral presentation, Crystallisation with air bubble templates, BIWIC. University of Aalto, Finland.
- Yang H, 2022 Oral presentation, Positive and negative influences of templates on protein crystallisation, CSCST. University of Birmingham, UK.
- Yang H, 2022 Oral presentation (Online), Protein crystallisation and scaling up, BACG 2022, UK.
- Yang H, 2021 Oral presentation (Online), Crystallisation in emulsion, China-UK Workshop on Food Quality, Safety and Reassurance. University of Leeds, UK.
- Yang H, 2021 Invited talk (Online), BioCrystallisation and platforms. Strathclyde University, UK.
- Yang H, 2020 Invited talk (Online), Biopharmaceutical crystallisation and templates. Nottingham University, UK.
- Yang H, 2020 Invited talk (Online), (Bio)pharmaceutical crystallisation technology. Tianjin University, China.
External roles and appointments
- 2022 External PhD Examiner at Strathclyde University, UK
- 2021 Thesis examining committee for MSci degree thesis at University of Alberta, Canada