Dr Danish Malik PhD
Reader in Industrial Biotechnology
Educated in Chemical Engineering at Loughborough University. Appointed Lecturer in Chemical Engineering at Loughborough University in 2003. Chemical Engineering Department Research Coordinator (2008-2012). Chemical Engineering Director of Research Degree Programmes (2012-2018). Reader in Industrial Biotechnology (2020 - present day).
Outline of main research interests and activities:
Danish is an internationally renowned expert in the development of scalable manufacturing platforms for next-generation biotherapeutics including bacteriophages, bacteriocins, endolysins and virus like particles (VLPs), their production, micro- and nano-encapsulation and their targeted delivery.
He has a strong track record of bridging the translational gap between fundamental science and applied settings. Research projects cover a range of clinical areas including respiratory (e.g. tuberculosis and cystic fibrosis), gastrointestinal (e.g. Salmonella, E. coli and Clostridium difficile) and wound infections (e.g. Staphylococcus aureus in biofilms).
His research is highly interdisciplinary and involves international collaborations with world leading research groups between engineers, geneticists, microbiologists, virologists and clinicians. His consultancy work for leading international biotechnology companies is helping accelerate development of biologicals for biotherapeutic, biocontrol and other related biomedical and biotechnology applications.
Vinner, G.K., Richards, K., Leppanen, M., Sagona, A. P., Malik, D.J. 2019, Microencapsulation of enteric bacteriophages in a pH-responsive solid oral dosage formulation using a scalable membrane emulsification process. Pharmaceutics, 11(9), 475, doi.org/10.3390/pharmaceutics11090475
Vinner, G.K., Razaie-Yazdi, Z., Leppanen, M., Stapley, A.G.F., Leaper, M., Malik, D.J. 2019, Microencapsulation of Salmonella specific bacteriophage Felix O1 using spray drying in a pH responsive formulation and direct compression tableting of powders into a solid oral dosage form. Pharmaceuticals, 12(43), doi:10.3390/ph12010043
Mancuso, F., Shi, J., Malik, D. J.. 2018, High throughput manufacturing of bacteriophages using continuous stirred tank bioreactors connected in series to ensure optimum host bacteria physiology for phage production, Viruses, 10(10), 537, doi.org/10.3390/v10100537
Cinquerrui, S., Mancuso, F., Vladisavljevic, G. T., Bakker, S. E., Malik, D. J.. 2018, Nanoencapsulation of bacteriophages in liposomes prepared using microfluidic hydrodynamic flow focusing, Frontiers in Microbiology 9(2172), doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.02172
Vinner, G. K., and Malik, D. J.. 2018, High precision microfluidic microencapsulation of bacteriophages for enteric delivery, Research in Microbiology 169(9), 522-530, doi.org/10.1016/j.resmic.2018.05.011
- Member of the Society of Chemical Industry (SCI).
- External Examiner, MSc Biotechnology, Bioprocessing and Business Management and MSc Medical Biotechnology and Business Management, School of Life Sciences, University of Warwick.
Invited Speaker (Recent International Conferences)
- 2020, Scalable production of high purity phages and their formulation and encapsulation for targeted delivery and controlled release suitable for bacteriophage therapy, Phage Futures Congress, 5th-6th February, 2020.
- 2020, Scalable manufacturing, formulation and encapsulation of bacteriophages for targeted delivery and controlled release. Bacteriophage Therapy Summit, 25-27 March, 2020, Boston, USA.
- 2020, Formulation and encapsulation of bacteriophages for targeted delivery and controlled release. Arrowhead Translational Microbiome Conference, 21-23 April, 2020, Boston, USA.
- 2019, Micro- and nanoencapsulation of biotherapeutics, International Phage Symposium, Bangkok, Thailand, 6th-7th November, 2019.
- 2019, Scalable manufacturing of high purity phages and their formulation and encapsulation for targeted delivery and controlled release suitable for bacteriophage therapy, Phage Futures Europe, 25-26th September, 2019, Brussels, Belgium.
- 2019, Scalable manufacturing and advanced encapsulation processes for bacteriophages, 4th International hands-on Phage Biotechnology course, 17-21 June, Braga, Portugal.
- 2019, Scalable encapsulation and production methods for bacteriophage therapy, Bacteriophage Therapy Summit, 25-27 March, 2019, Boston, USA.
- 2018, Microencapsulation of purified bacteriophages for targeted therapeutic applications, 5th World Congress on Targeting Infectious Diseases, Targeting Phage and Antibiotic Resistance: Phage Therapy and Other Innovative Ideas, 17-18 May, 2018, Florence, Italy.