Research and expertise
My research expertise covers a wide range of areas such as heterogeneous catalysis for fossil fuel upgrading and hydrogen production, inorganic adsorbents for CO2 capture, coal carbonisation for the production of blast furnace coke, and biomass and plastic waste conversion and valorisation.
I have more than 35 peer-reviewed publications in high impact factor journals and books. I have been the coordinator of two European projects and I have supervised five postgraduate students in the last five years.
Current research activity
- Purification of and processing of gypsum from end-of-life plasterboard (Horizon 2020)
Recently completed research projects
RFCR-CT-2014-00006 "Developing uses of alternative raw materials in cokemaking" (EU's Research Fund for Coal and Steel)
- RFCR-CT-2013-00007 "Coal weathering study to predict oxidation, improve coke properties and protect coke oven operation" (EU's Research Fund for Coal and Steel)
- Castro-Díaz, M., Fernanda Vega, M., Díaz-Faes, E., Barriocanal, C., Musa, U., Snape, C. (2019) Evaluation of demineralized lignin and lignin-phenolic resin blends to produce biocoke suitable for blast furnace operation. Fuel, 258, 116–125. DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2019.116125
- Parker, T.C., Sanderman, J., Holden, R.D., Blume‐Werry, G., Sjögersten, S., Large, D., Castro‐Díaz, M., Street, L.E., Subke, J.-A., Wookey, P.A. (2018) Exploring drivers of litter decomposition in a greening Arctic: results from a transplant experiment across a treeline. Ecology, 99, 2284–2294. DOI: 10.1002/ecy.2442
- Florentino-Madiedo, L., Díaz-Faes, E., Barriocanal, C., Castro-Díaz, M., Snape, C.E. (2018) Importance of biomass and binder selection for coking briquette preparation. Their effect on coal thermoplastic properties. Energy & Fuels, 32, 10727–10736. DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.8b02555
- Castro-Díaz, M., Uguna, C.N., Florentino, L., Díaz-Faes, E., Stevens, L.A., Barriocanal, C., Snape, C.E. (2017) Evaluation of hydrochars from lignin hydrous pyrolysis to produce biocokes after carbonization. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 124, 742–751. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaap.2016.11.010
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)