Loughborough University Alumni Bursary
If you are a Loughborough graduate thinking of applying for a postgraduate research degree, you’ll be pleased to learn that you could receive a 20% discount on your tuition fees.
Continue your journey…
Interested in studying for a PhD? We are offering a 20% discount on tuition fees to Loughborough alumni and students who are due to complete a Loughborough degree, who start PhD study with us on or after 1 October 2017.
This new scheme is designed to help more of our high calibre students and alumni to continue your Loughborough journey and join our close-knit community of post-graduate researchers, working on an incredible range of projects which aim to solve real-world issues.
By continuing your studies with a postgraduate research degree at Loughborough, you will have access to a range of outstanding facilities, training support and resources, and a minimum of two expert supervisors.
Who is eligible for the Alumni Bursary Scheme?
- Applicants must be, or expected to be, Loughborough University degree award holders (bachelors or masters degree). You can apply before you have completed your degree, however you must have successfully obtained a LU award by the time of registration.
- The scheme will be available for new PhD students starting on or after October 2017.
- Applicants must be entirely self-funded (without external funding, e.g. scholarships or sponsorships).
- Both full time and part time applicants are eligible, as are UK, EU and overseas students.
- The bursary cannot be combined with any other University discounts or awards.
How do I receive the Alumni Bursary?
If your application for PhD study is successful, you will be sent a letter alongside your offer explaining your eligibility for a 20% tuition fee discount if you agree to self-fund your studies.
If you decide to accept, you must reply to the offer and let us know how you are planning to fund your studies. Any eligible applicants confirming that they will be self-funding will have the Alumni Bursary formally confirmed.
How can I apply for a PhD?
Visit our website for a step-by-step guide to applying for a PhD.
Why study for a PhD?
A PhD programme will give you the opportunity to develop new and highly sought after skills which can set you up for a range of careers. It’s a chance to make a novel contribution to knowledge, to become a world expert in a particular field; it can open a range of doors with different employers.
PhD students have self-motivation, good organisation skills and are excellent communicators. They’re passionate about their research, often contribute to teaching and incredibly important for the success of the University.
Find out more
If you have any questions, please get in touch with the Postgraduate Research Admissions team.