What are your career options?
Career opportunities are very wide and varied and differ slightly according to the subject studied. Many careers areas, open to graduates from any discipline, are sought after by Social Sciences students. For example: human resources, recruitment, marketing, public relations, research, business analysis and retail management.
Here are some examples of careers areas related to the specific programmes within the Department.
Graduate and entry level opportunities lay within:
- the Criminal Justice System
- other Civil Service departments
- Local Government
- the National Health Service
- voluntary and commercial organisations
- social research
- management and administration within industry and the public sectors
Opportunities lay within
- marketing; advertising
- public relations
- communication and press officer roles
- media production and runner roles
- media planner or researcher roles and market research
This degree provides Accreditation towards the British Psychological Society’s Graduate Basis for Registration enabling graduates, with the minimum of a 2:2 degree, the chance to pursue a professional practice psychology career in clinical, educational, forensic or health psychology for example.
It should be noted that at least one to two years of relevant work experience is often required before commencing these professional studies.
Experience may include a wide range of roles, for example
- assistant psychologist
- mental health worker
- care assistant
- advice or community worker and varying roles within the education, health, criminal justice, voluntary sectors, or even within industry or commerce, for example, human resources assistant
Other roles where this degree would be useful are:
- advice and guidance
- retail management
- human resources and some other careers mentioned in the subject areas above
Graduates enter a very wide range of careers and postgraduate studies.
Popular, related postgraduate studies include social work, social research and teaching. Other routes chosen have included business, management and law and some other careers mentioned in the subject areas above.