Transferring to Loughborough University from another university
We consider applications from prospective students wishing to transfer to Loughborough University from another university for many of our courses. We will consider applications for first year entry and in some cases, second year entry* but we do not accept applications for entry directly into the third or final year of a course.
How to transfer to Loughborough University
Whether you want to be considered for transferring into the first or second year of a course, you must apply to Loughborough University through UCAS. The deadline to apply is the 30th June.
- Check the financial implications of transferring to another university, especially if you will have to repeat a year.
- Check that you meet the entry requirements for your chosen course, which are listed with each of our undergraduate courses including any English language qualification.
- Ensure that you have (or can achieve) 120 credits from your current UK university (or 60 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits if you are transferring to Loughborough University from outside the UK).
- Log into UCAS to start your application and indicate your point of entry (year one or two) in the 'choices' section of your application
- Ensure the reference on your application is provided by one of your current university tutors
- List details of all modules you have studied as well as your school-leaving qualifications.
The UCAS website has some useful information for students thinking about changing or leaving their current studies.
How do we assess your application?
When reviewing your application, we look at:
- Your current studies, to see how you are getting on and if the modules you are taking are a good match to our own. We need to ensure you will cope with the demands of a Loughborough University degree and you haven't missed some essential content from our first year.
- Your previous qualifications (taken before starting at your current university). We need to check you meet any specific entry requirements for your chosen course, but also need to make sure you have the sort of grades we normally expect. If you want to transfer into our second year, we will check that your previous results are in line with what we would have accepted for first year entry. If you are applying for first year entry following a foundation year at another university, we would want to see previous grades similar to our own foundation year entry requirements. We would also need to assess that the foundation course meets our 1st year requirements and has adequately prepared you to join the course at Loughborough University.
- Your reasons for transferring to Loughborough University in your personal statement. Successful applicants for second year entry will normally need 120 credits from their first year of study, with an overall weighted average of at least 60% or higher (or 2.1 equivalent), without resits. If we are not able to consider you for a place at your chosen point of entry, we may consider you for entry at a lower level - for example, first year instead of second year.
* Subject areas which do not consider second year entry include:
Architecture / Urban Planning
Commercial Management and Quantity Surveying / Construction Engineering Management
Computer Science (all programmes)
Design / Industrial Design / Product Design and Technology
Economics (all programmes)
Media and Communication
Psychology (all programmes)