Victim of Crime

A victim can be defined as someone who has been physically, financially or emotionally harmed, injured or killed due to crime, an accident or any other action.

Crimes vary and include such things as burglary, assault, hate crime and sexual violence. Regardless of what you have experiences, the University will support you. 

How can the University Support you?

If you are a victim of crime, you can receive wellbeing support from the Mental Wellbeing Team on campus by filling out the Online Referral Form 

Alternatively, if you are experiencing financial hardship or issues with your housing because of the crime, the Student Advice and Support Service will be able to offer you guidance. 

If you want to report the crime, the University will be able to support you through the formal process of reporting the incident to the police.  

If the incident involved a Loughborough University student, the University can explain what options you have regarding the disciplinary process. You can report the incident using the Online Incident Reporting Portal where you can report the incident anonymously or using your name. 

You can access support through the external charity Victim First with whom the university works closely with to help support students who have been the victim of a crime. 

What to do next?

Reporting the Incident

There are a number of incidents that can be reported to the University such as domestic violence, harassment, sexual violence, hate incidents (including racism, homophobia, etc.), you can find out more about what incidents you can report by going to the Online Incident Reporting Portal this is also where you report any incidents. You can report incidents named or anonymously. 

Victim of Financial Crime

If you have been a victim of financial crime, please complete our Online Referral Form to get advice and support. If you have filed a named report through our Online Incident Reporting Tool you do not need to do this. 

Contact Campus Security

If have been the victim of burglary, assault, theft, or another type of crime you should report this to the University Security Team on 01509 222141. Our Security Team can talk you through your options such as filing a police report.  

Contact Victim First

If you wish to access support via Victim First you can book this online via Target Connect. 

Wellbeing Support

If you need wellbeing support following a crime, please complete our Online Referral Form. If you have filed a named report through our Online Incident Reporting Tool, you do not need to do this. 

Talk to Someone

If you have been a victim of crime and feel a bit lost on what to do you can always start by talking to someone about it. This could be a friend, family member or someone else who you trust such as a member of the hall/community warden team. They might be able to offer you support on what to do next or signpost you in the right direction.  

What should I do if I am worried about somebody else?

If someone is in immediate danger you can call emergency services on 999, alternatively you can call campus security on 01509 222141. 

If someone you know has been a victim of crime, here are a few things you can do to help. 

  1. Be Supportive and listen – They may still be processing what they have experienced, try and remain as calm as possible. Reassure the person they aren’t at fault for what’s happened. If you feel like what someone is saying to you is affecting your own mental health, you can receive support by filing out the Online Referral Form.  
  2. Talk to them about what they might like to do next – There are several ways to report an incident, including anonymously through our Online Incident Reporting Portal or you could offer to report the incident on their behalf. The only time you should act against someone’s wishes is if a child or vulnerable adult could be at risk and there is a safeguarding concern. More information about safeguarding is available here. 
  3. Try to avoid saying things like “you are lucky it wasn’t worse” or “you should move on with your life” as this can minimise what the person has experienced.  


External Resources

Last Updated: 31st August 2022