Maintenance in your Accommodation

When living in a property some things might need replacing or fixing. Maintenance in your property can be dealt with in different ways.

If it is small issues such as a lightbulb has gone out, then you will need to change this yourself. However, if there are bigger issues such as problems with mould, flooring, plumbing, etc. this is a job for your landlord/letting agent. Make sure you know how to report maintenance issues to your landlord/letting agent. In some cases, this is a phone call, text, or an online reporting tool. Below you can find further information about what to do if your landlord refuses to fix what needs to be fixed.

What to do if your Landlord Refuses to Carry out Repairs

If your landlord/letting agent refuses to get the repairs done there is a step-by-step approach which should be followed.  

  1. Before tackling your landlord, it is important to consider if s/he has the option of evicting you from the property. If you have a fixed-term agreement, then your landlord/letting agent will not be able to make you leave before the fixed-term ends unless a court order has been obtained on one of the limited grounds available. If you do not have a fixed-term agreement but instead have agreed to pay rent each week or each month on an ongoing basis, your landlord might be able to give you two months’ notice. If you feel unsure about your right to stay in the accommodation, please contact the Student Advice and Support Service 
  2. If you want to take actions, you should contact your landlord/letting agent immediately. If you contact them on the phone or in person you should follow this up in writing as it is particularly important to have a written record of your request. Make sure to include full details of the disrepair in questions. It is also important to collect as much evidence as you can, such as taking pictures or videos.  
  3. If the landlord/letting agent does not respond or disputes responsibility for the repairs or fails to carry out repairs withing a reasonable period you should seek advice on what options you have. This can be done by contacting the Student Advice and Support Service. 

Last Updated: 12th September 2022