Housemate Disputes

However much you plan, things may still go wrong. These pages provide general guidance on how to avoid disputes, and how to resolve them, should a dispute arise.

Sharing with housemates who may have different lifestyles, habits, customs and cultures is normally a positive experience, but problems can arise where there is a clash of lifestyles or differing standards.

What may begin as a small issue about hygiene, noise or cleaning can develop into a serious problem. It’s important to think about how to avoid issues arising in the first place and where they do arise, how to stop them escalating.

Here are some suggestions to minimise conflict:

  • Be considerate - respect your housemates’ space, food, and property,
  • Consider agreeing some house rules, for example: keep the noise down after 11.30pm, don’t leave your dishes in the sink, clean the bathroom after you’ve finished etc.
  • Agree to share any bills or other liabilities such as rent. We produce a ‘deed of indemnity’ form available on request that can be used by tenants to agree to an equal share of rent.
  • Draw up a rota for housework such as washing up
  • Deal with any issues early rather than allowing things to build up.
  • Talk face to face rather than via text message or group chat, as this can help to avoid misunderstanding or miscommunication.

If things cannot be resolved there are various support services available on and off-campus. The Student Advice and Support Service can advise on the rights and responsibilities of tenants, including where you or one of your housemates feel there is no alternative but to move out.

Other sources of guidance and support include the University Community Wardens.

If a dispute between housemates escalates into violence or intimidation this is most likely to be in breach of the University’s code of discipline and the Loughborough Student Charter. Our Disciplinary pages have more information about this.

If you have been the victim of assault or harassment or are fearful you will be, speak to the Police as soon as possible. In an emergency call 999 and in a non-emergency call 101. You may need emergency accommodation in which case you can contact Student Services for advice and support.

Last Updated: 28th September 2023