In most cases, you will be required to provide a guarantor. A guarantor is someone who will guarantee to pay for your rent or damage incurred at the property if you fail to do so.

In most cases the landlord or letting agent will request that your guarantor is based in the UK. This can cause some problems for international students with parents who live abroad. If you are unable to find a UK based guarantor, the landlord or letting agent might ask you to pay the rent in advance or pay a larger deposit.  

If you are asked to provide a guarantor, we recommend that you limit your liability by ensuring the guarantor’s agreement sets out the name of the person whose rent is being guaranteed, the start and end date of the agreement and the amount guaranteed rather than a general commitment to pay the outstanding rent. Additionally, we recommend that you and the guarantor read the tenancy contract and the guarantor agreement before signing.

Last Updated: 28th September 2023