Art Foundation Finance

Higher education student loans and grants are not available for Art and Design Foundation students because the course is designated as Further Education. 

There may be some sources of funding available depending on your circumstances but these alone are unlikely to cover all your costs for the year. It is therefore important to consider all your expenses and budget accordingly before starting the course. We have information about budgeting to help you on our website here.

Tuition Fees

Tuition fee details are available on the Art and Design Foundation Studies website. 

    • Applicants who are aged 18 years and under on 31 August in the year of entry will be exempt from the payment of tuition fees.  
    • Applicants who are aged 19 years and over are liable to pay their own tuition fees, however you may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan. Contact for more details.


  1. Bursary for vulnerable students 

You must be at least 16 years old and under 19 years old at the start of the academic year (31st August) and be in one of the following groups: 

    • people in care or care leavers 
    • disabled person receiving Employment and Support Allowance/Universal Credit and Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment 
    • in receipt of Income Support/Universal Credit because you are financially supporting yourself or financially supporting yourself and someone who is dependent and living with you such as a child or partner 

For 2023/24 year the vulnerable bursary award is £1,200 per year. 

  1. Discretionary Bursary 

If you are under 19 and do not fall within the ‘vulnerable categories or if you are over 19 and your household income is less than £32,500 per year then you may be eligible for a discretionary bursary. The standard discretionary award is £750 but awards may be increased later in the 2023/24 year if funds permit. 

How to apply?  

Bursary application forms are available from the course administrator or the Student Advice and Support Service from the beginning of term. You can only apply after you have started your course. One form covers both the above bursaries and it needs to be submitted during the first term your course.

Charities and Trusts

Charities and Trusts might provide modest grants to help with the cost of study. Sources of information:

  • The Turn2us website allows you to search a database of over 3,000 charitable funds offering welfare and educational grants.
  • Larger libraries will often hold copies of directories such as The Guide to Educational Grants by the Directory of Social Change
  • You may also find out about local charities that may not be mentioned in the national directories through your library, local community organisations, careers service or your education authority.

Help with Childcare Costs

Care to learn helps with the costs of childcare for student parents under the age of 20. The grant is capped at £160 per week per child and is paid directly to the childcare provider. The childcare provider must be registered with Ofsted.

Travel Costs

If you live locally and are a full-time student travelling daily to the University, assistance with the cost of transport may be available from your Local Authority.  However, many local authorities have withdrawn or reduced support for travel costs.

Any award will take account of the distance travelled, student’s age and whether the same course can be taken at a college or university nearer to home.

For transport applications and entitlement please check with your local authority.

For Leicestershire County Council travel scheme information, see the website here.

Free Meals

FE-funded institutions are required to provide a meal a day to disadvantaged students who are aged between 16 and 18 on 31 August (in the year of entry). Students who turn 19 during their study programme will remain eligible for a meal a day until the end of the academic year.

Your eligibility will usually be assessed on whether you or your parents are receiving certain benefits, see GOV.UK website for details. Contact the course administrator Yvonne Clayton ( or 01509 228941) for more information on the eligibility criteria and details of how to apply for this support.

Help with Accommodation Costs

You may be able to get help with the cost of accommodation from the government’s Residential Support Scheme (RSS). Generally you need to be aged 18 or younger at the start of your Art Foundation course.

It is important to check the eligibility criteria. It is particularly important to note that the RSS will not be paid where a similar course is available within 15 miles or 2 hours daily travel time of your home address.

Hardship Fund

The Hardship Fund is provided by the University as a safety net for students in unforeseen financial difficulty despite having received all financial support available to them. It is not a main source of support and any application will need to show you how had budgeted for your expenses at the start your course and how your circumstances have since changed.  An award from this fund is not automatic and students need to make a full application to be assessed.

More information, Hardship Fund forms and guides for Loughborough University students can be found on our website here. You are encouraged to contact the Student Advice and Support Service for help in preparing your application.

How can the University Support you?

See our web pages about manging your money and budgeting.

If you require further guidance or advice you can contact the Student Advice and Support Service.

Last Updated: 13th October 2023