EU Settlement Scheme

Last updated 4 January 2024

Following the end of Brexit and the EU Settlement Scheme application process, the Recruitment and Resourcing Team continue to offer colleagues support wherever possible and assist EU/EEA colleagues with any queries.

EU/EEA nationals living in the UK by 31 December 2020 had until 30 June 2021 to apply for pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. Applications from EU/EEA nationals wishing to switch from pre-settled status to settled status, family members of EU/EEA nationals already granted status under the EU Settlement Scheme and individuals with ‘reasonable grounds’ for not having applied by the deadline are still being accepted and information can be found below.

For the latest Home Office EU Settlement Scheme statistics please view below. 

After applying to the EU Settlement Scheme

Please remember the importance of keeping your personal details up to date, including a change of address, phone number or renewing your passport. Additional information on this can be found below.

If you plan to travel, please ensure that you add any document you did not use in your application, for example, if you applied with your National ID card but plan to travel on a passport or renewed passport, you should update the Home Office with your updated passport details. This will avoid any delays at the border when re-entering the UK.  You will not receive a physical document to prove your status; to view and prove your immigration status you will need to use the Home Office link below. It may also be advisable to print off a copy of your digital record to show at the airport if needed (in addition to showing your passport/ID card).

If you experience any difficulties at border control, in an emergency, please contact the or 01509 228028. Alternatively, if out of office hours, please contact the Security Control Room, available 24/7, on 01509 222141.  We can then contact our employers UKVI helpline with your permission.

EU Settlement Scheme FAQ's

I am an EU/EEA national and I have obtained pre-settled status, do I need to re-apply at some point?

Yes, you will need to reapply after you have completed five years of residence in the UK. Once you have settled status you can stay in the UK as long as you like, subject to length of time spent outside of the UK, please see UKVI website for further detail. You may also be able to apply for British citizenship if you’re eligible. Further information can be obtained below. 

I am an EU/EEA national, what do I need to do to ensure that my family can stay in the UK?

Applications must be submitted for children of any age, and parents applying on their behalf are encouraged to link their applications. Further information can be found below.

I am an EU national with pre or settled status, can my family join me in the UK?

Your family can join you in the UK as long as their relationship with you was prior to 31 December 2020. Further information on this can be found below. 

What kind of documents do I need in order to demonstrate that I have been resident in the UK for five years as part of the settled status process? (bank statements, bills etc)

There are two specific areas that you will need to prove:

a) Your identity, as evidenced by your passport.

b) Your residence in the UK. This can be evidenced by bank statements, bills etc. Your National Insurance number will also allow an automated check of your residence based on tax and certain government records.

Unfortunately, you will need to provide this proof again when you apply to change from pre-settled status to settled status. More information on the documentation required can be found at the UKVI website.

I am an EU/EEA national, how much time can I spend out of the country without this affecting my application for settled status?

There is a 5-year qualifying period of continuous residence in the UK. There are some exceptions and further information can be found below. You must not have left the UK or the Common Travel Area for more than 6 months in any 12-month period.

I am an EU/EEA national and I have changed my mobile phone number, email address, name, passport or UK address, do I need to update my settled status?

Yes, your details must be kept up to date. There is a link below where you are able to make updates. Please also remember to update my.HR with any changes to contact details. 

Do I automatically have settled/pre-settled status?

No, there is no automatic right therefore you must formally apply through the EU Settlement Scheme.  

I am an Irish Citizen, do I need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme?

As an Irish Citizen you can continue living and working in the UK and do not need to apply, as the rights are protected under the Common Travel Area arrangement.  However, an Irish Citizen can apply if they wish, but are not required to.    

Why should I apply for pre-settled status?

Pre-settled status gives you rights to live and work in the UK without a visa for up to 5 years. Without this status you will need to apply for an alternative visa which is a much more complicated process and expensive. 

Do I need to use my University email address to apply?

No, you can use a personal address if you wish. 

How much does applying for settled/pre-settled status cost?

Unlike other visas, there is no fee to apply.

Do I still need to apply if I have a permanent residence document?

Yes, after 30 June 2021, permanent residence documents will not be a valid proof of residence / right to work. Therefore, you will need to apply through the EU Settlement Scheme. Further information can be found below. 

Do I need an active National Insurance Number to be able to apply?

No, you do not need a National Insurance number to be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. 

Who shall I contact if I have a question or query in relation to the EU Settlement Scheme or request further support?

If after reading the following FAQs and the UKVI information you have any further questions, please email There is also the EU Settlement Resolution Centre who are able to provide support seven days a week.

I am struggling to apply online due to access to a computer / mobile device and / or skills, what should I do?

‘Assisted Digital’, which is linked below, can provide you with the support you require. 

I was expecting to receive ‘settled status’ as I have been a resident in the UK for longer than 5 years but I have only received ‘pre-settled status’, what should I do?

We would suggest you contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre and see what they advise. It is possible that they may suggest for you to reapply while you are able to and ensure the further evidence is provided.   

How will I receive confirmation of my status?

You will not receive a physical document confirming your status, it will be received digitally and included in this will be information on how you can share this with your employer or landlord via the online system. 

When will I need to inform you of my confirmed EU Settlement status?

If you were resident in the UK by 31 December 2020, you do not have to provide evidence of your EU pre or settled status once you have obtained it. However, if you wish to do so, please contact to make the necessary arrangements.

Since 1 July 2021, a passport or national identity card can no longer be used for EU/EEA and Swiss nationals (except Irish nationals) to prove your right to work in the UK. You will need to use the Home Office’s online service to obtain a share code in order for your immigration status to be viewed online. Irish nationals can continue to use their passport or passport card to prove their right to work.

Am I able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme while I am overseas?

Yes, but you will need to have access to the EU Exit: ID Document Check app

I was working overseas due to COVID-19 and only have pre-settled status, will this affect my eligibility to apply for settled status?

Potentially yes, if you have pre-settled status, you must usually not have an absence from the UK of more than 6 months in a rolling 12-month period.  However, there are some exceptions due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but these may require evidence, therefore you may need proof for example, that you could not fly back to the UK or that you were in isolation during the period that you could travel.  Just choosing to work remotely during the pandemic would not fall into one of the important reasons, and therefore please be aware of this if you have pre-settled status.  You may need to restart your 5 years continuous service if you have been overseas for longer than 6 months, and if you returned after 1 January 2021 you may no longer be eligible for settled status, so please ensure absences from the UK are taken into account.  Please note, there are other exceptions aside from Covid-19 exemptions, where the amount of time outside of the UK can also be one period of a maximum of 12 months for childbirth, illness, study etc.

I have obtained my status through the EU Settlement Scheme but I have concerns around re-entry to the UK?

The Home Office have an introduction to your immigration status for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens, including a section called ‘Crossing the border’ which you may find helpful. They also have other resources online, some of which are linked below, for after you have applied. 

We have also provided some information at the top of this page to assist you. 

Useful Links & Documents