Who Are We?
The Health and Safety Service is a small dedicated team, of professionals who support the University. The team includes specialists in health and safety, chemical, biological and radiological safety, fire safety and legal compliance. Together we partner with the University’s schools and professional services to help ensure that we operate safely and effectively.
The Health and Safety Service support the University in delivering its strategic aims.
The vision of the Health and Safety Service is linked to the University’s strategic theme Creating Better Futures and is :-
"By working together we will inspire and enable all so that we create a future where health, safety and wellbeing is central to the way we work and where excellence is achieved. Our aim is to become a beacon of best practice."
- Each individual should be aware of the risks they own
- Those who own the risk should be aware of their responsibilities for the assessment and management of that risk
- Structures will be put into place to ensure a good oversight of the most significant risks to the University and how they are being managed.
- Responsibilities will be clearly defined and individuals will be held accountable for the delivery of their responsibilities
- We will be honest and transparent in the way that we work.
- We will show respect to our colleagues and each other and work in a supportive way in order to find collaborative solutions
- We will be an enabling and solutions based service
- We will explore widely to identify new and innovative solutions
- We will deliver what we promise and not promise things we can’t deliver
- We will continue our personal development so that we are our best selves.
- Using technologies, internal expertise and drawing on external networks we will strive to find solutions providing a route, rather than perceived barriers, to accomplish and deliver
- We will work flexibly drawing on the skills and competencies of team members and the wider University
- We will communicate clearly and imaginatively and ensure that individuals can become competent to undertake the tasks required.