Artificial football pitch with floodlighting
The University has submitted a planning application to convert an existing grass football pitch to an artificial surface. The project also includes proposals for floodlights.
The pitch in question is Holywell Four at the West Park part of campus.
Currently the demand for football facilities exceeds the supply of pitches. Conversion of the pitch and the provision of floodlights will allow more intensive use of the pitch to meet current demand.
The brief has been developed to include the following requirements:
- 100 x 64m 3G synthetic pitch with 3m run off conforming to FA standards
- Close proximity to outdoor changing facilities
- Team shelters and goal storage areas
- Basic spectator areas to three sides
- Perimeter fencing and ball stop netting
- Storage Shed
- 200 LED lux level floodlighting
- Data and power supplies
An extensive options analysis of all available sites across campus has been undertaken. Holywell four provides the best option for a number of reasons:
- Best location for operational efficiency – close to existing facilities (equipment storage and changing facilities) and management team
- Low number of residential properties close to the site and some 90 metres away
- Adjacent woodland will provide natural buffer zone to school and nearby properties
- Floodlights low impact due to distance to nearest properties