Hayley Musson has worked as a Research Associate within the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences since 2003. Hayley has experience of undertaking quantitative and qualitative research and evaluation working for the Institute of Youth Sport between 2003 and 2013. In January 2014 Hayley started working as a research and evaluation project officer.
Hayley completed her BSc (Hons) degree in Sports Science and Management at Loughborough University in 2003 and gained her MSc in Sport Science in August 2005.
- Workplace physical activity and health
- Interventions to increase physical activity and reduce sedentary behaviour
- Translation of research evidence into practice
- Physical inactivity in young people
- Physical activity promotion in young people
Hayley has worked on a number of projects related to these themes including:
Sport England ‘Evaluation of the CSPN Workplace Challenge’ (2013-2015)
Sustrans ‘Evaluation of the Live Well, Work Well leader training’ (2013-2015)
British Heart Foundation (BHF) ‘Supporting Secondary Schools in the Effective Promotion of Physical Activity and Health’ project (2010 – 2013)
Cricket Foundation ‘Evaluation of the Cricket Foundation’s Chance to shine and Street Chance Programme’ (2009-2014)
Women’s Sport and Fitness Foundation (WSFF) ‘Understanding Psycho-Social Attitudes to Sport and Activity in Girls’ (2009-2011)
Youth Sport Trust ‘School Sport Coaching Programme’ (2008)
Coca-Cola ‘GreatFun2Run evaluation’ (2005-2008)
Youth Sport Trust ‘The impact of TOP programmes on teaching and learning in PE in primary schools in England’ (2003-07)
- Knox, ECL., Musson, H., Adams, E.J. (2015). Knowledge of physical activity recommendations in adults employed in England: associations with individual and workplace-related predictors.International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity2015, 12:69 doi:10.1186/s12966-015-0231-3
- Malcolm, DE and Musson, H. (2014) Are young people interested in cricket? Journal of the Cricket Society, 27(4), pp.4-8.
- Musson, H., Duncombe, R., Cale, L., & Harris, J. (2012). Young people’s knowledge, understanding and misconceptions about health, fitness and physical activity. Paper presented at European Conference for Educational Research, Cadiz, September 2012.
- Harris, J., Cale, L., & Musson, H. (2012). The predicament of primary physical education: a consequence of ‘insufficient’ ITT and ‘ineffective’ CPD? Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 17(4): 367-381.
- Edwardson, C., Gorely, T., Musson, H., Duncombe, R., Sandford, R (2012). Does Activity-Related Social Support Differ by Characteristics of the Adolescent? Journal of Physical Activity & Health,11 (3) pp.574-580.
- Harris, J., Cale, L., & Musson, H. (2011). The effects of a professional development programme on primary school teachers’ perceptions of physical education. Professional Development in Education, Volume 37 Issue 2, 291-305.
- Gorely, T., Morris, J., Musson, H., Brown, S., Nevill, A., and Nevill, ME. (2011). Physical activity and body composition outcomes of the GreatFun2Run intervention at 20 month follow-up. International Journal of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity, 8:74.
Selected recent presentations
- Musson, H and Adams E.J. Engaging inactive employees in sport and physical activity through the workplace. International Society for Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, UK, June 2015 (Poster)
- Adams E.J. and Musson, H. Increasing sports participation in inactive employees: evaluation of a national eight week web-based sport and physical activity initiative in workplaces in England. International Society for Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, UK, June 2015 (Poster)
- Knox ECL, Musson, H and Adams E.J. Factors Influencing Knowledge of Physical Activity Recommendations in UK Working Adults. International Society for Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, UK, June 2015 (Poster)