Professor Frank Hong Liu PhD CFA
Professor in Accounting & Finance
Financial constraints, earnings management, corporate social responsibility and bank risk taking.
Frank Hong Liu is a professor of Accounting and finance at Loughborough University. He was previously a professor at the University of Aberdeen, lecturer and senior lecturer at the University of Glasgow and a research associate at Bangor University. Frank also previously held visiting positions at Stern Business School (New York University), Columbia Business School (Columbia University) and Erasmus School of Economics (Erasmus University Rotterdam). Before joining academic, Frank worked as a foreign exchange trader at Bank of Communications in China for four years.
Frank is a member of Scientific Committee of a number of conferences. He actively engages with the financial industries for research collaborations and consultancy.
Frank is a regular speaker at international conferences and industry forums. Recent invitations include Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong Modern Service Industry Cooperation Zone of Shenzhen, China National Statistics Bureau, Hangzhou Financial Investment Asset Management Co., and Galaxy Asset Management.
Frank has received a number of grants from various funding bodies, including Fundamental Research Fund for the Central Universities for China, Carnegie Research Incentive Grant, and Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance.
Frank has interests in a wide range of research topics including firm financial constraints, earnings management, corporate social responsibility and bank risk taking. The key theme of Frank’s research is to understand how firm reacts when they have financial constraint and when this position changes.
- Liu H., Jiang, C., Molyneux, P., 2019. Do different forms of government ownership matter for bank capital behaviour? Evidence from China, Journal of Financial Stability, 40, 38-49.
- Hung, C.H., Jiang, Y., Liu, H., Tu, H., 2018. Competition or Manipulation? An Empirical Evidence of Bank Earnings Persistence, Journal of Banking & Finance, 88, 442-454.
- Dutordoir, M., Li, H., Liu, H., Verwijmeren, P., 2016. Convertible Bond Announcement Effects: Why is Japan Different? Journal of Corporate Finance 37, 76-92.
- Goddard, J., Liu, H., Molyneux, P., and Wilson, J.O.S., 2011. The Persistence of Bank Profits, Journal of Banking & Finance, 35(11):2881-2890.
- Goddard, J., Liu, H., Molyneux, P., and Wilson, J.O.S, 2013. Do Bank Profits Converge? European Financial Management, 19(2), 345-365.