Dr Mumin Abubakre Pronouns: He/him B.Eng (Bauchi, Nigeria), MSc (Aberdeen); PhD (Loughborough), FHEA
Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Information Systems
Digital Entrepreneurship/Innovation, ICT for Development, Organisational Implementation of Information Technology
Mumin joined the School of Business & Economics, Loughborough University in March 2022. Prior to that, he was Senior Lecturer in Information Systems at Nottingham Trent University. Mumin obtained his PhD in Management Information Systems at Loughborough University. His research interests span the digital economy and the implications of digital innovation on individuals, businesses, and societies. Mumin regularly contributes to international conferences and has published articles in peer-reviewed scholarly journals such as Information Systems Journal, European Journal of Information systems, Information & Management Journal. Before pursuing an academic career, he had gained over three years of work experience as an IT professional within the banking and oil & gas sectors in Nigeria and the UK. Mumin is a member of the Association of Information Systems and the British Academy of Management.
Mumin welcomes PhD applicants interested in undertaking research in any area of digital innovation/entrepreneurship, ICT for Development, Organisational Implementation of Information Technology.
Mumin's interdisciplinary research investigates digital innovations/technologies as an increasingly dominant mode of organising, social, political, and economic interactions. He aims to develop a deeper understanding of digitalisation and the impact on significant societal challenges such as social inclusion, gender-based violence and the changing nature of work.
- 2022 – present, External Examiner (Taught Programmes): Executive MBA, Business School, Birmingham City University.
- 2021 – present, Associate Editor, Journal of Global Information Technology Management; ABS 2*.
- 2021 Reviewer for National Research Fund, Department of Science and Technology, South Africa, November.
- 2019 – present, Visiting Professor, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- 2019 Organising & Advisory Committees and Session Chair, African Operations Management Conference, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2018 – 2019, Visiting Professor, University of South Africa, South Africa
- 2018 External Examiner Appointment PhD thesis: University of South Africa, South Africa.
- 2018 Reviewer for Research Incentive Fund, Zayed University, United Arab Emirates, July.
- 2018 Invited Contributor to Oracle South Africa's Digital Business Innovation Day Workshop on How Digital Technologies could help the transformation of SMEs, March.
- 2018 Invited Contributor to Festo Didactic, South Africa roundtable event on Industry 4.0 and its place in the African economy, April.
- 2018 Organising & Facilitating Workshops, African Human-Computer Interaction Conference, Windhoek, Namibia.
- 2017 External Examiner Appointment - PhD thesis: University of South Africa, South Africa.
- 2017 Invited Contributor to Newton Fund, the British Council, and FAPESC, Brazil Workshop on pathway to global sustainability - Role of local food supply logistics in global sustainability, May.
- 2015 – 2021 Editorial Board member for Journal of Global Information Technology Management, ABS 2*
- 2015 – 2020 External Examiner (Taught Programmes): BA (Hons) Business, University of Huddersfield.
Abubakre M., & Mkansi, M. (2021). How do technologists do “ICT for development”? A contextualised perspective on ICT4D in South Africa. European Journal of Information Systems, DOI: 10.1080/0960085X.2021.1978343
Abubakre M., Faik, I., & Mkansi, M. (2021). Digital Entrepreneurship and Indigenous Value Systems: An Ubuntu Perspective. Information Systems Journal, 31(6): 838-862.
Abubakre M., Zhou Y., & Zhou, Z. (2020). The Impact of IT Culture and Personal Innovativeness in Information Technology on Digital Entrepreneurship Success. Information Technology & People, ISSN: 0959-3845.
Kwayu, S., Lal, B., & Abubakre, M. (2018). Enhancing Organisational Competitiveness Via Social Media - a Strategy as Practice Perspective. Information Systems Frontiers, 20 (3): 439-456.
Abubakre, M., Ravishankar, MN, & Coombs, CR (2017). Revisiting the trajectory of IT implementation in organisations: An IT-Culture Conflict Perspective, Information Technology & People, 30(3): 562-579.