Professor Joanna Szmelter PhD, MSc
Professor of Computational Fluid and Solid Dynamics
Joanna Szmelter moved to Loughborough University from Cranfield University, Royal Military College of Science, in October 2006, where she was a senior lecturer in the Ballistics and CFD Centre.
Prior to this she was in charge of the Aerodynamic Technology Group at BAe Airbus Ltd. She chaired BAe working groups in Unsteady Aerodynamics (1992–96), the Co-ordination for Unstructured Meshes (1994-95) and the Euler Core Team (1994-95). She was also a member of the BAe Fluid Mechanics Sub-committee (1994-96), the UK Advisory Group for Computational Fluid Mechanics (1994-96), BAe representative in the Airbus Industries Unsteady Aerodynamics Working Group at Toulouse (1993-95) and BAe Coordinator for the tripartite Consortium between BAe, Rolls-Royce and DRA for joint unstructured meshes-based CFD technology development (1994-95).
She gained her PhD and worked as a senior research assistant at Swansea University, Dept. of Civil Engineering.
- Higher education and MSc -- Warsaw University of Technology, Dept. of Mechanics, Power and Aerospace.
- Secondary education -- mathematical class in Gottwald LO XIV, Warsaw, Poland.
Research Interests and Activities
- Numerical methods development for fluid and solid dynamics.
- Advanced scientific simulations and mesh generation.
- Selected multidisciplinary applications: aerodynamics, ballistics, hydrodynamics, environmental flows, fragmentation.
- Member of EPSRC Peer Review College
- Guest editor for the combined two special issues of The International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids Vol. 50 No 10, April 2006.
- Chaired conference sessions, organised invited mini-symposia and listed as a conference organiser and a member of scientific committee at international conferences.
- Visiting scientist to National Center for Atmospheric Research, Colorado USA in 2007,2006 and 2005.
- Consultant to British Aerospace Airbus Ltd. (1996-1999)
- Reviewer for:
- International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Journal of Computational Physics, Journal of Aerospace Engineering ImechE, Journal of Experimental Biology, Computers and Fluids, Computing Science in Engineering, Journal of Battlefield Technology, and AIAA.
- PhD & MSc external examiner
- Her work has been funded by industry (Airbus, Roxel, BAe Systems, Royal Ordnance), the MoD, Dstl, the EU, the British Council, The Royal Society and the EPSRC.