Professor Changqing Liu MSc PhD CEng SMIEEE MIOM3 MInstCT
Professor of Electronics Manufacture
- BEng (1981-5) in Materials from Nanjing University of Science and Technology China, MSc (1985-8) in Corrosion Wear and Protection from Chinese Academy of Science, and PhD (1993-6) in Engineering Design and Manufacture from Hull University UK.
- Previously Assistant Professor in the Chinese Academy of Science (1988-93), and Postdoctoral Researcher at Birmingham University (1997-2000).
- Join Loughborough University since 2000 as a Research Fellow, now Professor of Electronics Manufacture.
Research Interests and Activities
Broad Interests and expertise:
- Materials and processes in manufacturing
- Materials characterisation and testing
- Innovative electronics manufacturing
- Nano-materials for electronics interconnections
- Surface science and engineering
- Corrosion science and protection
Current research areas:
- Novel materials depositions, bonding assembly processes
- Large scale ultra-fine pitch flip chip technology
- Copper interconnects: wire and column bonding and interfaces
- Wafer bumping with binary and ternary eutectic Pb-free alloys
- 3D waveguide integration with flexible substrates
- Printed electronics using ink jet technology
- Novel materials processing for compact optoelectronics integration
- Lab on Chip (LoB) to enable multifunctional 3D miniaturised devices
- Novel materials and processes for manufacture of solar cell modules
- Electronics for severe, extreme and harsh environments
- Reliability analysis of electronic products: testing and simulations
- Surfaces and interfaces of electronics interconnects: microstructural and micro-mechanical characterisation
- Chartered Engineer of Engineering Council, UK
- Member of Sciece and Technology Task Group, Materials IGT, UK, 2005
- Senior member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
- Member of Institute of Materials, Mineral and Mining
- Member of Institute of Nanotechnology
- Member of Institute of Circuit Technology
- Visiting Professor of Harbin Institute of Technology, China
- Visiting Professor of Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Major conference activity
- Committee member & Session Chair of IEEE international conferences:
- Electronics Components and Technology Conference (ECTC), USA
- Electronic Systemintegration Technology Conference (ESTC), Europe
- Electronics Packaging Technology Conference (EPTC), Singapore
- International Conference on Electronics Packaging Technology (ICEPT-HDP), China
- The University of Milan, Italy, 21st December 2010
- Waterloo University, Waterloo, Canada, 16th April 2010
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 15th December 2009
- Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Tsukuba, Japan, 8th December 2009
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China, 14th October 2009
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 30th July 2009
- Shenzhen Graduates School, Harbin Institute of Technology, China, July (2007)
- KTH, Sweden, November (2006)
- Chalmers University, Sweden, November (2006)
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China,September (2005)
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, USA, March (2005)
- Delft University, Netherlands, November (2004)
- Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China, July (2004)
- Institute of Metals Research, Academia Sinica, Shenyang, China, July (2004)
- The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada, April (2004)
- University of Science and Technology Beijing, China, July (2002)
‘Materials and Processes Issues in Fine Pitch Eutectic Flip Chip Interconnection ‘, IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, 29/2006:869-876.
6th Conference on High Density Microsystem (HDP’04), Shanghai, China, July (2004)
7thConference on High Density Microsystem (HDP’06), Shanghai, China, June (2004)
NPL SSTC Winter Conference, Teddington, NPL, 10th December (2003)
- Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, IEEE (CPMT) Reviewer of ASME Transactions Journal of Electronics Packaging, ASME, USA
- Reviewer of Surface & Coatings Technology, Elsevier Science
- Reviewer of Journal of the Electrochemical Society, The Electrochemical Society, USA
- Reviewer of Soldering & Surface Mount Technology, Emerald Journal
- Reviewer of Corrosion Science, Elsevier Science
- Reviewer of Scripta Materialia, Elsevier Science
- Reviewer of Materials Letters, Elsevier Science
- Reviewer of Microelectronics reliability, Elsevier Science
- Reviewer of Journal of Materials Science and Engineering, Elsevier Science
- Reviewer of Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Elsevier Science
- Reviewer of Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
PhD thesis examination
An external PhD Examiner at Waterloo University, Canada.
An external PhD Examiner at Birmingham University, UK.
- Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS), CVCP-UK, 1993-1997.
- Best Paper Award at 28th IEMT (SEMI, IEEE/CPMT), San Jose, USA, July 2003
- Cookson Electronics Paper Award at 5th EMAP (IEEE/CPMT), Singapore, November 2003.
- Engineering Sciences 2 (MMA102): Mechanics of Materials
- Materials and Manufacturing Processes (MMA601/604): Manufacturing Processes
- Design and Manufacture of Consumer Products (MMF501): Manufacturing Processes
- Manufacturing Process Technology (MMB600): Responsible Examiner
- Design for All (MMB504): Group project