Professor Andy Harland BEng DIS PhD CEng MIMechE
Professor of Sports Technology
Associate Dean (Enterprise)
Director, Sports Technology Institute
Head of Sports Technology Research Group
- Graduated from Loughborough University with a B.Eng. in Engineering Science and Technology before completing a Ph.D. in the Optical Engineering Research Group at Loughborough on the measurement of acousto optic interactions in association with the National Physical Laboratory, Teddington.
- Joined the Sports Technology group as Lecturer in October 2001. Senior Lecturer 2007
- Principal investigator on various EPSRC / IMCRC funded projects. Involved in collaborative research projects with numerous sports brands and played a significant role in the development and testing of soccer balls for the 2004, 2006 and 2008 EUFA European Championships and FIFA World Cup.
Research Interests and Activities
- Mechanical design and analysis of sports equipment.
- Dynamics and acoustics of sports products.
- Development and application of non-contact optical and image based measurement techniques in sport.
- Computer modelling of sports materials and products.
- Soccer ball design, manufacture and performance analysis.
- Finite element analysis of footwear.
- Computer modelling of Apparel
- Design and mechanical testing of protective equipment
- Instrumentation and "smart" sports equipment
- Professional affiliations: Member, International Sports Engineering Association, Member, Institute of Mechanical Engineers, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Advisory Roles: Invited Technical Expert, International Cricket Council
- Invited speaker: "Engineering Gold" BA Festival of Science, York, 2007. England and Wales Cricket Board, Level 4 (International) Master Coach Award
- Referee for Journal of Sound and Vibration, Journal of Acoustical Society of America, Sports Engineering, Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers
- Invited Reviewer for Routledge Books
- 2007: Second best paper at 6th World Congress of Science and Football "Soccer Ball Dynamic Force Measurement", Price, D.S., Harland, A.R., Jones, R.