Professor Andrew West PhD
Professor of Intelligent Systems
Born in Leigh, Lancashire, attended Hindley and Abram Grammar School. B.Sc. and Ph.D. attained at University of Leeds. Research posts at Cambridge University and Loughborough University. Lecturer in Manufacturing Engineering in 1995.
Research Interests and Activities
- Business Process Modelling, Simulation and Evaluation Distributed Systems including:
- component based control
- virtual reality and systems visualisation
- remote monitoring
- agile systems
- intelligent systems
- Sports machine design and analysis including:
- cricket bowling
- high speed garment testing
- personalised anaerobic and aerobic training
- robotic golf
- Heathcare Systems including:
- pharmaceutical tabletting
- Editorial board membership:
- Sports Technology
- Professional affiliation:
- Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- International conferences:
- Programme co-chair of IEEE Intelligent Robotics and Systems Conference, San Diego 2007.
- Invited Lectures:
- Intelligent Control (Cambridge Consultants, Rolls Royce, DanishTechnology Institute, Oxford University, Glaxo Smith Kline)
- Advisory roles:
- Invitations to sit on ISO Standards Committee ISO TC184/SC5/WG4: Manufacturing Applications Programming Environment, ISO TC184/SC5/WG1: Modelling and Architecture and ISO TC184/SC5/WG8: Industrial Manufacturing Management Data, Consultant for EPSRC, Consultant for UK Sport, Visiting researcher at Danish Technology Institute
- Managing Director of SmartWeights Ltd., Board member of US based SmartSports Company, Member of East Midlands SMART club and Registered SME business mentor with DTI
- Referee for International Journal of Production Engineering
- Collaborative Research:
- current examples include Business Driven Automation (EPSRC and Ford award: 2007-2010), Complex Low Volume Electronics Simulation (TSB, Goodrich and GE Aerospace award: 2006-2008), Intellgent User Centric Distributed Components for Harsh Environments (EPSRC, UK Sport and British Swimming Award: 2007-2009), Service Oriented Cross-layer Infrastructure for distributed smart embedded devices (EU, Schneider Electric award: 2007-2010).
- Invitation to Singapore
- 2007: Best paper at International Sports Engineering Conference in Singapore.
- 2006: Best paper at International Sports Engineering Conference in Munich.
- 2006: RWE nPower Commendation Award (for Ph.D. student)
- Stoner Prize from Leeds University for Highest Marks Achieved on Physics Degree.
- 12 DTI SMART awards since 1999.
Programme Director for Sports Technology B.Sc. (2003-2007) .