Dr Zhaoxia Zhou MSc, PhD
Zhaoxia is a Research Fellow at Loughborough Materials Characterisation Centre (LMCC) specialising in transmission electron microscopy (TEM). She is responsible for the daily operation, training and maintenance of the TEM capability within LMCC, providing a front-line research support and consultancy service to internal users and external clients. Adding to previous postdoctoral research at Sheffield University, she has 15 years’ experience of materials characterisation and failure analysis. Her work ranges from Al and Ni alloys, PbZrTiO3 sensors, GaN quantum wells, hard and low friction PVD coatings (TiAlN/VN and C/Cr) on cutting tools, Au nanoparticles, CdTe solar cells, to Pb free solders. Recently she has started investigating interfacial bonding in electronics at micro- and nano- scale, with a particular interest using in-situ microscopy experiments.
- BSc Harbin Institute of Technology, China
- MSc Harbin Institute of Technology and Institute of Metal Research, China
- PhD Institute of Metal Research, University of Sheffield
- FRMS Fellow of the Royal Microscopy Society
Outline of main research interests:
Application of advanced electron microscopy and associated analytical techniques to investigate materials microstructure and properties.
These have included:
- Interface and surface microstructure characterisation: oxidation, wear and friction, wettability.
- In-situ microscopy at micron and nanometre scale.
- Materials resilience in a system: heterogeneous integration of polymers, ceramics and metals and their reliability.
Underpinning Power Electronics 2017: Heterogeneous Integration (EP/R004501/1), 2017-2020.
- MPP551, contribution of 2hr lecture on analytical microscopy and 4hr lab demonstration
- MPB206, deliver lab class “the effect of recrystallization temperature on the rolling of metals”.
- MPB209, assisting and coordinating lab class.
- L Liu, Z Chen, Z Zhou, G Chen, F Wu and C Liu. Diffusion barrier property of electroless Ni-W-P coating in high temperature Zn-5Al/Cu solder interconnects. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 722(2017), 746-752. Doi: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.06.122.
- Sachdev, S, Maugi, R, Woolley, JD, Kirk, CA, Zhou, Z, Christie, SDR, Platt, M (2017) Synthesis of Gold Nanoparticles using the Interface of an Emulsion Droplet, Langmuir, ISSN: 0743-7463. DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.7b00564.
- KM Morrison, A Caruana, Z Zhou, G West, M Cropper, J Zipfel. Demonstration of polycrystalline thin film coatings on glass for spin Seebeck energy harvesting, Physica Status Solidi: Rapid Research Letters, ISSN: 1862-6270 (2016). DOI: 10.1002/pssr.201600128.
- Rodenburg, C, Liu, X, Jepson, MAE, Zhou, Z, Rainforth, WM, Rodenburg, JM (2010) The role of helium ion microscopy in the characterisation of complex three-dimensional nanostructures, ULTRAMICROSCOPY, 110(9), pp.1178-1184, ISSN: 0304-3991. DOI: 10.1016/j.ultramic.2010.04.009.
- Zhou, Z, Rainforth, WM, Luo, Q, Hovsepian, PE, Ojeda, JJ, Romero-Gonzalez, ME (2010) Wear and friction of TiAlN/VN coatings against Al2O3 in air at room and elevated temperatures, Acta Materialia, 58(8), pp.2912-2925, ISSN: 1359-6454. DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2010.01.020