Dr Martin B Smith
Senior Lecturer in Inorganic Chemistry
- BSc Chemistry, University of Warwick, 1987.
- PhD Inorganic Chemistry, University of Bristol, 1991 (Prof. P. G. Pringle). The Synthesis, Characterisation and Catalytic Properties of Nickel, Palladium and Platinum Complexes with Tris(hydroxymethyl)phosphine and Tris(cyanoethyl)phosphine.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Bristol, 1991-2 (Prof. P. G. Pringle).
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University College London, 1992-3 (Prof. A. J. Deeming).
- Royal Society Fellowship, University of British Columbia, 1993-4 (Prof. B. R. James).
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Loughborough University, 1994-7 (Prof. J. D. Woollins).
- Lecturer, Loughborough University, 1997-2008.
- Senior Lecturer, Loughborough University, 2008-present.
- Keen supporter of Leeds United and enjoys, albeit frustrating at times, playing golf.
- All aspects of phosphorus chemistry including ligand design and synthesis.
- Co-ordination / organometallic chemistry.
- Multinuclear NMR spectroscopy, single crystal X-ray crystallography.
- Homogenous catalysis.
- Development of new chemosensors.
- Functional polymers for medical and energy based applications.
For more information on this research click here.
S. J. Coles, S. H. Dale, M. R. J. Elsegood, K. G. Gaw, T. Gelbrich, M. B. Hursthouse, M. E. Light, T. A. Noble and M. B. Smith, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2012, 859.
K. G. Gaw, M. B. Smith, J. B. Wright, A. M. Z. Slawin, S. J. Coles, M. B. Hursthouse and G. J. Tizzard, J. Organomet. Chem., 2012, 699, 39.
G. M. Brown, M. R. J. Elsegood, M. B. Smith and K. Blann, Inorg. Chem. Commun., 2011, 14, 940.
S. E. Durran, M. R. J. Elsegood, S. R. Hammond and M. B. Smith, Dalton Trans., 2010, 39, 7136.
T. J. Cunningham, M. R. J. Elsegood, P. F. Kelly, M. B. Smith and P. M. Staniland, Dalton Trans., 2010, 39, 5216.
A. T. Ekubo, M. R. J. Elsegood, A. J. Lake and M. B. Smith, Inorg. Chem., 2010, 49, 3703.
A. T. Ekubo, M. R. J. Elsegood, A. J. Lake and M. B. Smith, Inorg. Chem., 2009, 48, 2633.
P. G. Pringle and M. B. Smith, in Phosphorus(III) Ligands in Homogeneous Catalysis, Eds. P. C. J. Kamer and P. W. N. M. van Leeuwen, Wiley, 2012.
- External PhD examiner at University of Bristol, University of Leicester.
- Referee for Chem. Commun., Dalton Trans., Inorg. Chem., Organometallics, J. Organomet. Chem., Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. and other journals.
- Oral lectures at ICPC2012 (Rotterdam), Dalton2012 (Warwick), ICPC2010 (Wroclaw), ICCC38 (Jerusalem), ICPC2007 (Xiamen).
- Senior Tutor
- CDS Coordinator
- University Teaching Assessor
- CMA102: Fundamental Chemistry (Module Co-ordinator)
- CMA106: Transition Metal Chemistry
- CMB106: d-Block Organometallic Chemistry
- CMC002: Inorganic Medicinal Chemistry
- CMC026: Investigative Projects
- CMD111: Catalysis, Mechanisms and Industrial Relevance
- CMD001: MChem Projects