Research and expertise
My current key teaching/research areas of interest include improved services for the urban poor, policy and institutional framework for effective delivery of water/sanitation services, cost-recovery and financial management systems, and water demand management within the integrated water resources management paradigm.
Bowan, PA, Kayaga, S, Cotton, A, Fisher, J (2019) Municipal Solid Waste Disposal Operational Performance in Wa Municipality, Ghana, Journal of Health and Pollution, 9(23), pp.190903-190903, ISSN: 2156-9614. DOI: 10.5696/2156-9614-9.23.190903.
Gough, K, Yankson, P, Wilby, R, Amankwaa, E, Abarike, M, Codjoe, S, Griffiths, P, Kasei, R, Kayaga, S, Nabilse, C (2019) Vulnerability to extreme weather events in cities: implications for infrastructure and livelihoods, Journal of the British Academy, 7(s2), pp.155-181, DOI: 10.5871/jba/007s2.155.
Manouseli, D, Kayaga, SM, Kalawsky, R (2019) Evaluating the Effectiveness of Residential Water Efficiency Initiatives in England: Influencing Factors and Policy Implications, Water Resources Management, 33(7), pp.2219-2238, ISSN: 0920-4741. DOI: 10.1007/s11269-018-2176-1.
Bowan, PA, Kayaga, S, Fisher, J (2019) A baseline scenario of municipal solid waste management, International Journal of Environment and Waste Management, ISSN: 1478-9876.
I am Director of Programmes, Water Engineering for Development and Water Management for Development full-time courses.
I teach on the following postgraduate modules:
- Management of Water and Environmental Sanitation Services modules
- Management of Water and Environmental Sanitation Infrastructure modules
- Management of Village Water Services
- Research methods
- Management and Operation of Water Utilities
- Urban Sanitation Management
- Household and Communal Sanitation Management
- Urban and Rural Water Engineering
- Case Study (Distance Learning)
- Water Utility Management (Distance Learning)
- Solid Waste Management (Distance Learning)
- Member, International Water Association (IWA)
- Member, Editorial Advisory Panel of the Municipal Engineer Journal, Institution of Civil Engineers Proceedings
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal on Civil Engineering and Urban Planning (IJCEUP)
- Member, Transportation and Public Utilities Group, Allied Social Sciences Associations (USA)
- Member, Global Water Operators Partnerships Alliance,
- Member of Board of Trustees, Research and Competence Centre (RCC) for Water and Sanitation for Africa (WSA), the Pan African Intergovernmental Agency.
- Member of Board of Trustees, Africa Water Enterprises, a UK-based charity committed to providing rural water supply through the use of small scale private sector businesses owned by local people from within the community.
- Member of the Parochial Church Council (PCC) of All Saints Church, Thorpe Acre, Loughborough.
Dr Sam Kayaga is a Senior Lecturer at WEDC, in the School of Civil and Building Engineering, and is involved in postgraduate training, capacity development, research and consultancy for effective provision of water and environmental sanitation in middle- and low-income countries.
Sam, a water/sanitation engineer, has been working for WEDC since 2002. His main area of interest is sustainable urban water services with specific emphasis on institutional and organisational development at national, sector, corporate and community levels. Prior to joining WEDC, he worked for National Water and Sewerage Corporation (NWSC) of Uganda for a period of 18 years, as a water engineer/manager in various towns of Uganda, and later as a principal/chief engineer.
- Chartered Engineer (UK)
- Fellow, Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (FIWEM)
- Member, Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy