Professor Victor Krylov PhD, DSc
Victor was educated at Moscow M.V. Lomonosov State University, obtaining his PhD in Physics and Mathematics (with specialisation in Acoustics) in 1981 and DSc in the same disciplines in 1989. He joined the staff at Moscow M.V. Lomonosov State University as Research Scientist in 1980 and later was promoted to Senior Research Scientist. During this time Victor visited University of Edinburgh in 1990-91 as an SERC Visiting Fellow. In 1993 Victor moved to Nottingham Trent University as Professor of Acoustics, and in 2001 he joined Loughborough University as Professor of Acoustics and Vibration.
- PhD - Moscow M.V. Lomonosov State University 1981
- DSc - Moscow M.V. Lomonosov State University and the Higher Attestation Commission of the former USSR 1989
- Fellow of the Institute of Acoustics (FIOA)
- Member of the Acoustical Society of America
- Member of the Edinburgh Mathematical Society
- Awarded the Highest National Young Scientists Award of the former USSR in 1984 (Lenin Komsomol Prize).
- Awarded the Alfred Rosling Bennett Premium/Charles S Lake Award from the Railway Division of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers - for the best paper published in 2000.
- Awarded The Rayleigh Gold Medal for the year 2000 from the UK Institute of Acoustics
- Structural Dynamics and Acoustics
Research interests and activities
- Elastic waves in complex structures
- Localised waves and vibrations
- Acoustic black holes and their applications for vibration damping
- Generation of ground vibrations by rail and road traffic
- Ground vibration boom from high-speed trains
- Structure-borne vehicle interior noise
- Low-frequency noise and vibration
Broad research interests and expertise
- Physical acoustics and its applications to engineering problems
- Acoustic wave radiation and propagation in solids and structures
- Rayleigh waves in inhomogeneous media
Current and recent grants and contracts (with others)
- 2013-2015 EPSRC – Periodicity-enhanced attenuating layers and structures (PEALS).
- 2008-2011 EPSRC – New method of damping structural vibrations based on the acoustic black hole effect.
- 2006-2009 EPSRC – Studies of blast sound propagation and passive absorption using laser-generated shock waves and semi-analytical method.
- 1999-2001 EPSRC – Development and validation of the theoretical model of ground vibration boom from high-speed trains.
- 1998-2000 EPSRC – Surface acoustic wave-liquid interactions.
- 1997-1999 EPSRC – Transient ground movements caused by high speed trains crossing soft soil.
Current teaching responsibilities
- TTB002 - Dynamics and Vibration
- TTC070 - Sound Radiation from Structures
Current administrative responsilbilities
- Leader of the departmental ‘Structural Dynamics and Acoustics Research Group’
- Director of Research Programmes
- Azbaid El Ouahabi, A and Krylov, VV (2016) Experimental Investigations of Quasi-flat Acoustic Absorbers Enhanced by Metamaterial Layers, Noise Theory and Practice, 2(4), pp.2-16, ISSN: 2412-8627. Full text: http://media.noisetp.com/filer_public/d3/75/d375ef69-6f53-4982-a846-f2c6d9908092/pages_2-16_eng.pdf .
- Krylov, VV and Lewis, B (2016) Assessment of Locations Along the Proposed HS2 Routes that are Likely to Experience Ground Vibration Boom from High-speed Trains, Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, 38(1), pp.453-464, ISSN: 1478-6095. Full text: http://www.ioa.org.uk/.
- Krylov, VV (2016) Directivity Patterns of Laser-generated Sound in Solids: Effects of Optical and Thermal Parameters, Ultrasonics, 69(July), pp.279-284, ISSN: 0041-624X. Full text: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ultras. DOI: 10.1016/j.ultras.2016.01.011.
- Bowyer, EP and Krylov, VV (2016) Slots of Power-law Profile as Acoustic Black Holes for Flexural Waves in Metallic and Composite Plates, Structures, 6, pp.48-58, ISSN: 2352-0124. DOI: 10.1016/j.istruc.2016.02.002.
- Krylov, V.V. (2015). Generation of Ground Vibrations by Vehicles Crossing Flexible Speed Bumps. Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, 37(2), 178-185.
- Rousounelos, A., Walsh, S. J., Krylov, V. V. and Horner, J. L. (2015). Optimisation of the Structural Modes of Automotive-type Panels Using Line Stiffeners and Point Masses to Achieve Weak Acoustic Radiation. Applied Acoustics, 93, 23-37.
- Bowyer, E.P. and Krylov, V.V. (2015). Experimental Study of Sound Radiation by Plates Containing Circular Indentations of Power-law Profile. Applied Acoustics, 88, 30-37.
- Krylov, VV (ed) (2001) Noise and Vibration from High Speed Trains, Thomas Telford Publishing, ISBN: 9780727729637. Full text: http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Noise_and_Vibration_from_High_speed_Trai.html?id=2By9AgZYFLAC .
- Biryukov, SV, Gulyaev Yu, V, Krylov, VV, Plessky, VP (1995) Surface Acoustic Waves in Inhomogeneous Media, Springer-Verlag, ISBN: 9783540584605. Full text: http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Surface_acoustic_waves_in_inhomogeneous.html?id=WR-jfwMnDYYC&redir_esc=y .
- Krylov, VV (1989) Basic Principles of Sound Radiation and Scattering, Moscow University Press (in Russian), Full text: http://msupublishing.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=355&Itemid=100127 .
- Krasil'nikov, VA and Krylov, VV (1985) Surface Acoustic Waves, Znanie (in Russian).
- Krasil'nikov, VA and Krylov, VV (1984) Introduction to Physical Acoustics, Nauka (in Russian), Full text: http://studylib.com/2214-krasilnikov-va-krylov-vv-vvedenie-v-fizicheskuyu-akustiku.html#.UaVMiltwahY .
- Krylov, VV (2014) Acoustic Black Holes: Recent Developments in the Theory and Applications, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, 61(8), pp.1296-1306, ISSN: 0885-3010. Full text: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2014.3036. DOI: 10.1109/TUFFC.2014.3036.
- Krylov, VV, Pickup, S, McNuff, J (2010) Calculation of Ground Vibration Spectra from Heavy Military Vehicles, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 329, pp.3020-3029, ISSN: 0022-460X. Full text: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jsvi. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsv.2010.02.014.
- Krylov, VV and Porteous, E (2010) Wave-Like Aquatic Propulsion of Mono-Hull Marine Vessels., Ocean Engineering, 37, pp.378-386, ISSN: 0029-8018. Full text: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/oceaneng. DOI: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2009.12.008.
- Krylov, VV and Winward, RETB (2007) Experimental Investigation of the Acoustic Black Hole Effect for Flexural Waves in Tapered Plates, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 300(1-2), pp.43-49, ISSN: 0022-460X. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsv.2006.07.035.
- Krylov, VV and Tilman, FJBS (2004) Acoustic 'Black Holes' for Flexural Waves as Effective Vibration Dampers, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 274(3-5), pp.605-619, ISSN: 0022-460X. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsv.2003.05.010.
- Krylov, VV, Dawson, AR, Heelis, ME, Collop, AC (2000) Rail Movement and Ground Waves Caused by High-speed Trains Approaching Track-soil Critical Velocities, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 214(2), pp.107-116, DOI: 10.1243/0954409001531379.
- Krylov, VV (1998) On the Velocities of Localised Vibration Modes in Immersed Solid Wedges, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 103(2), pp.767-770, DOI: 10.1121/1.421240.
- Krylov, VV (1995) Generation of Ground Vibrations by Superfast Trains, Applied Acoustics, 44, pp.149-164, DOI: 10.1016/0003-682X(95)91370-I.
- Krylov, VV and Parker, DF (1992) Harmonic Generation and Parametric Mixing in Wedge Acoustic Waves, Wave Motion, 15(2), pp.185-200, DOI: 10.1016/0165-2125(92)90018-W.
- Krylov, VV (1989) Effect of Surface Phenomena in Solids on Surface Acoustic Waves,
- The Open University, Milton Keynes
- The University of Salford
- Université du Maine, Le Mans, France
- Delphi Diesel Systems, Gillingham, Kent
- Daimler, Stuttgart, Germany
External roles and appointments:
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal "Applied Acoustics" (Elsevier).
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the “Journal of Sound and Vibration" (Elsevier).
- Member of the UK Institute of Acoustics Research Coordination Committee
- Member of the EPSRC College
- Visiting Professor, Université du Maine, Le Mans, France.
- Reviewer of research proposals for the EPSRC, the Royal Society, the 'Institut Universitaire de France', the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (Germany), the Research Foundation Flanders (Belgium).
- Reviewer of book proposals for 'Elsevier', 'Professional Engineering Publishing', 'Thomas Telford Publishing', 'Multi-Science Publishing'.
- Reviewer for the following international journals: Applied Acoustics, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Acoustical Physics, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, Acta Acustica united with Acustica, Wave Motion, Proceedings of the Royal Society, Journal of Applied Physics, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control, Engineering Structures, Ocean Engineering, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, Building Acoustics, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Ultrasonics, Smart Materials and Structures, Journal of Vibration and Control, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Shock and Vibration, International Journal of Thermophysics, Journal of Fluids and Structures, Journal of Automobile Engineering, Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, etc.
- External PhD examiner at the universities of Cambridge, Southampton, Open University and University of Maine (Le Mans, France).
- Member of the International Scientific Advisory Committees: International Conference on Condition Monitoring (Cambridge, UK, 2005), 2nd International Symposium on Environmental Vibrations (Okayama, Japan, 2005). 3rd International Symposium on Environmental Vibrations (Taipei, Taiwan, 2007), 15th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (Daejeon, Korea, 2008), 5th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies (Edinburgh, UK, 2008), 4th International Symposium on Environmental Vibrations (Beijing, China, 2009), 5th International Symposium on Environmental Vibrations (Chengdu, China, 2011), 9th International Conference on Condition Monitoring (London, UK, 2012), 6th International Symposium on Environmental Vibrations (Changhai, China, 2013), 10th International Conference on Condition Monitoring (Krakow, Poland, 2013).
- Conference structured sessions organiser and chairman: UK Institute of Acoustics Spring Conference 2002 (Salford), InterNoise 2004 (Prague), UK Institute of Acoustics Spring Conference 2006 (Southampton), 13th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (Vienna, 2006), Anglo-French Conference 'Acoustics 2012' (Nantes, France, 2012).
- Conference regular session chairman: EuroNoise 2001 (Patras, Greece), 17th International Congress on Acoustics (Rome, 2001), UK Institute of Acoustics Spring Conference 2004 (Southampton), International Conference "Noise and Vibration Emerging Technologies 2005" (St Raphael, France, 2005), 12th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (Lisbon, 2005), UK Institute of Acoustics Spring Conference 2008 (Reading), International Conference on Structural Dynamics (Leuven, Belgium, 2011).
- Invited conference speaker at: Euronoise 2001 (Patras, Greece), 4th International Conference on Structural Dynamics (Munich, 2002), Anglo-French Physical Acoustics Conference 2002 (Wissant, France), Euronoise 2003 (Naples), Internoise 2004 (Prague, 2004), 2nd International Symposium on Environmental Vibrations (Okayama, Japan, 2005), International conference "Acoustics'08" (Paris, France, 2008), Dynamics Days Europe 2008 (Delft, The Netherlands), European Conference on Structural Dynamics (Leuven, Belgium 2011), IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (Prague, 2013), International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering (Leuven, Belgium 2016); Keynote speaker at International Conference on Computational Structural Dynamics (Rethymnon, Greece, 2007), International Conference on Condition Monitoring (London, UK, 2012).