Welcome to the department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering
Here we bring together world leading research, teaching and outstanding links with industry. Our well established reputation is built on a long and successful history, Automotive Engineering began in 1919 and Aeronautical Engineering in 1935.
The Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering is one of the very few which brings together the excitement and challenge of aeronautical and automotive engineering. Housed in purpose built facilities that includes laboratories, workshops, wind-tunnels a flight simulator and a technical display area where a BAE Systems Hawk jet plane takes pride of place.
The Department enjoys a close relationship with the Aeronautical and Automotive industries, with academic staff involved in industrial research collaboration. This ensures that our tradition of high quality teaching is underpinned by an in-depth knowledge and interest in the sector. The active research culture also ensures that teaching is informed by the latest thinking in the field and that project work is challenging and relevant to aircraft and automotive technologies.
Our graduates are testament to our success, helping to provide industry with the skills and knowledge to give them the competitive edge to succeed in the 21st century.
Why choose us?
- Top 10 in the UK for Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering. Times Good University Guide 2019 and The Complete University Guide 2020.
- Top 10 for graduate prospects. Times Good University Guide 2019 and The Complete University Guide 2019.
- Average starting Salary of £27,0001
- Top 10 in the UK for overall student satisfaction. 2019 National Student Survey.
- Unrivalled industrial connections. We enjoy close working links with Rolls-Royce, Ford Motor Company, BAE Systems, Jaguar Land Rover, Caterpillar, JCB, Airbus, Lotus, Bentley and many others.
- Top 10 Research University in England. REF 2014.
- £14 million bespoke facilities and the new 17 million state-of-the-art STEMLab facility. For more information on facilities on campus.
1 DLHE, 2017 graduates in full-time employment. UK/EU & Channel Isles, FT first degree students