Dr Jun Yang FIET, SMIEEE, PhD, BEng
Reader in Autonomous and Electric Vehicles
Jun obtained his BEng in Automation from School of Information Science and Engineering at Northeastern University, China in 2006 and subsequently his PhD in Control Engineering from School of Automation at Southeast University, China in 2011. Prior to joint Lougborough University, he worked as a Lecturer, Associate Professor and Full Professor at Southeast University from 2011, from 2014 and from 2018. Jun joined the Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering at Loughborough University as a Senior Lecturer in Autonomous and Electric Vehicles since 2020.
- Fellow of Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) 2020
- Senior Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) since 2018
- Vice Chair of Nanjing Chapter of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society since 2018
- PhD in Control Engineering, Southeast University, China, 2011
- BEng in Automation, Northeastern University, China, 2006
- Outstanding Reviewer of the IET Control Theory and Applications, 2018.
- Science and Technology Progress Award (Second Prize) of Jiangsu Province, 2018.
- Premium Award for Best Paper in the IET Control Theory and Applications, 2017.
- ICI Prize for Best Paper in the Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, concerning work on the industrial application of control, 2016.
- Outstanding Reviewer of the Automatica, 2016.
- One paper was selected as one of the top hundred influential international academic papers in China, 2014.
- Natural Science Award (Second Prize) of Ministry of Education of China, 2014.
- One paper was selected as the Most Cited Automatica Articles (2013 to 2018, 25 Articles in total)
- Teaching Assistant, Reaction Engineering 2
Outline of main research interests:
Advanced Control Theory: Fundamental contributions have been made in disturbance observer-based control, sliding mode control, model predictive control, in particular in the area of unmatched disturbance compensation.
Motion Planning and Control: multiple disturbance modeling and estimation, key parameter identification, visual serving control, vibration suppression, motion planning, path following.
Applications: AC motor and drives, container crane, power electronics, industrial robots, inertial stabilization platform, and unmanned aerial vehicles.
Grants and contracts:
- NSFC: Qualitative Robustness Analysis and Refined Anti-Disturbance Control for Nonlinear Systems, 2016-2019, ￥780K, PI
- NSFC: Active Anti-Disturbance Control for Nonlinear Systems Subject to Mismatched Disturbances, 2013-2015, ￥240K, PI
- NSFC-RSE: Reliable and High-efficiency Controller Design for Airborne Wind Energy Systems, ￥125K, 2013-2015, PI
Yan, Y., Yang, J., Liu, C., Coombes, M., Li, S., Chen, W.-H. (2020) On the Actuator Dynamics of Dynamic Control Allocation for a Small Fixed-Wing UAV with Direct Lift Control. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 28(3). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2019.2945909
Yang, J. , Liu, C. , Coombes, M. , Yan, Y. , Chen, W-H (2020) Optimal Path Following for Small Fixed-Wing UAVs Under Wind Disturbances. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, -. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2020.2980727
Yang, J., Li, T., Liu, C., Li, S., Chen, W.-H. (2020) Nonlinearity Estimator-Based Control of A Class of Uncertain Nonlinear Systems. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 65(5). https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2019.2940567
Jiang, C., Yang, J., Li, S., Zhou, M., Yang, K. (2020) Friction-Compensation and Extended State Observer Based Model Predictive Control for PMSM Servo Systems. IEEJ Journal of Industry Applications, 9(4). https://doi.org/10.1541/ieejjia.9.351
Yan, Y., Yang, J., Sun, Z., Zhang, C., Li, S., Yu, H. (2018) Robust Speed Regulation for PMSM Servo System with Multiple Sources of Disturbances via an Augmented Disturbance Observer. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 23(2). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2018.2799326
Yang, J., Sun, J., Zheng, W.X., Li, S. (2018) Periodic event-triggered robust output feedback control for nonlinear uncertain systems with time-varying disturbance. Automatica, 94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2018.04.042
Wang, J., Li, S., Yang, J., Wu, B., Li, Q. (2015) Extended state observer-based sliding mode control for PWM-based DC-DC buck power converter systems with mismatched disturbances. IET Control Theory and Applications, 9(4). https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cta.2014.0220
- Associate Editor of Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, 2016-
- Program Chair/Track Chair/IPC Member of many international conferences such as IEEE IECON, IEEE ICIT, IEEE ICIEA, IEEE CCDC, IEEE RCAR, ICONIP, IEEE-CYBER, IEEE ADRC Workshop, et al.
- Invited talks on disturbance rejection control theories with applications to flight control systems and mechatronic systems at The University of Manchester (UK), Nanyang Technology University (Singapore), RMIT University (Australia), Strathclyde University (UK), Loughborough University (UK), Nanjing University of Science and Technology (China), etc.
- Active Reviewers for more than 10 international journals including Automatica, IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, IEEE Trans. On Aerospace and Electronics Systems, IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, IET Control Theory and Applications, International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, International Journal of Control, et al.