Dr Jun Yang FIET, SMIEEE, PhD, BEng
Senior Lecturer in Autonomous and Electric Vehicles
Jun obtained his BEng in Automation from School of Information Science and Engineering at Northeastern University, China in 2006 and subsequently his PhD in Control Engineering from School of Automation at Southeast University, China in 2011. Prior to joint Lougborough University, he worked as a Lecturer, Associate Professor and Full Professor at Southeast University from 2011, from 2014 and from 2018. Jun joined the Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering at Loughborough University as a Senior Lecturer in Autonomous and Electric Vehicles since 2020.
- Fellow of Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) 2020
- Senior Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) since 2018
- Vice Chair of Nanjing Chapter of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society since 2018
- PhD in Control Engineering, Southeast University, China, 2011
- BEng in Automation, Northeastern University, China, 2006
- Outstanding Reviewer of the IET Control Theory and Applications, 2018.
- Science and Technology Progress Award (Second Prize) of Jiangsu Province, 2018.
- Premium Award for Best Paper in the IET Control Theory and Applications, 2017.
- ICI Prize for Best Paper in the Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, concerning work on the industrial application of control, 2016.
- Outstanding Reviewer of the Automatica, 2016.
- One paper was selected as one of the top hundred influential international academic papers in China, 2014.
- Natural Science Award (Second Prize) of Ministry of Education of China, 2014.
- One paper was selected as the Most Cited Automatica Articles (2013 to 2018, 25 Articles in total)
- Teaching Assistant, Reaction Engineering 2
Outline of main research interests:
Advanced Control Theory: Fundamental contributions have been made in disturbance observer-based control, sliding mode control, model predictive control, in particular in the area of unmatched disturbance compensation.
Motion Planning and Control: multiple disturbance modeling and estimation, key parameter identification, visual serving control, vibration suppression, motion planning, path following.
Applications: AC motor and drives, container crane, power electronics, industrial robots, inertial stabilization platform, and unmanned aerial vehicles.
Grants and contracts:
- NSFC: Qualitative Robustness Analysis and Refined Anti-Disturbance Control for Nonlinear Systems, 2016-2019, ￥780K, PI
- NSFC: Active Anti-Disturbance Control for Nonlinear Systems Subject to Mismatched Disturbances, 2013-2015, ￥240K, PI
- NSFC-RSE: Reliable and High-efficiency Controller Design for Airborne Wind Energy Systems, ￥125K, 2013-2015, PI
- J. Yang, T. Li, C. Liu, S. Li and W.-H. Chen. (2020). Nonlinearity estimator-based control of a class of uncertain nonlinear systems. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 2230-2236.
- C. Zhang, J. Yang, Y. Yan, L. Fridman and S. Li. (2020). Semi-global finite-time trajectory tracking realization for disturbed nonlinear systems via higher-order sliding modes. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 2185-2191.
- J. Mao, J. Yang, X. Liu, S. Li and Q. Li. (2019). Modeling and robust continuous TSM control for an inertially stabilized platform with couplings. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 7893-7903.
- T. Li, J. Yang, S. Li, C. Wen and C. Zhang. (2019). Global adaptive finite-time stabilization of uncertain time-varying p-normal nonlinear systems without homogeneous growth nonlinearity restriction. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 4637-4644.
- J. Yang, H. Wu, L. Hu and S. Li. (2019). Robust predictive speed regulation of converter-driven DC motors via a discrete-time reduced-order GPIO. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 7893-7903.
- Y. Yan, J. Yang, Z. Sun, C. Zhang, S. Li* and H. Yu. (2018). Robust speed regulation for PMSM servo system with multiple sources of disturbances via an augmented disturbance observer. IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 769-780.
- J. Yang*, W.H. Chen, S. Li, L. Guo and Y. Yan. (2017). Disturbance/uncertainty estimation and attenuation techniques in PMSM drives-A survey. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 3273-3285.
- W.-H. Chen*, J. Yang, L. Guo and S. Li. (2016). Disturbance observer-based control and related methods: An overview. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 1083-1095.
- J. Yang，S. Li*，J. Su，X.H. Yu. (2013). Continuous nonsingular terminal sliding mode control for systems with mismatched disturbances. Automatica, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 2287-2291.
- J. Yang*，S. Li，X.H Yu. (2013). Sliding-mode control for systems with mismatched uncertainties via a disturbance observer. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 60, no. 1, pp.160-169.
- Associate Editor of Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, 2016-
- Program Chair/Track Chair/IPC Member of many international conferences such as IEEE IECON, IEEE ICIT, IEEE ICIEA, IEEE CCDC, IEEE RCAR, ICONIP, IEEE-CYBER, IEEE ADRC Workshop, et al.
- Invited talks on disturbance rejection control theories with applications to flight control systems and mechatronic systems at The University of Manchester (UK), Nanyang Technology University (Singapore), RMIT University (Australia), Strathclyde University (UK), Loughborough University (UK), Nanjing University of Science and Technology (China), etc.
- Active Reviewers for more than 10 international journals including Automatica, IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, IEEE Trans. On Aerospace and Electronics Systems, IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, IET Control Theory and Applications, International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, International Journal of Control, et al.