Professor Jim McGuirk DSc, CEng, FRAeS, FREng
Emeritus Professor of Aerodynamics
- Research Engineer, Karlsruhe University, Germany, 1975-1978
- Post Doctoral Research Associate, Imperial college, Department of Chemcial Engineering, 1978-1981.
- Lecturer, Associate, Imperial college, Department of Chemcial Engineering, 1981-1989
- Senior Lecturer, Imperial college, Department of Chemcial Engineering, 1989-1990
- Professor of Aerodynamics, Loughborough University, Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering, 1990-2016
- Director of the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre, Loughborough University, Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering, 1993-2012.
- Emeritus Professor 2016 - present.
- B.Sc.(Eng.), Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College, London University, 1970.
- M.Sc.(Eng.), Heat Transfer Engineering, Imperial College, London University, 1971.
- PhD, “CFD of turbulent buoyant jets”, Imperial College, London University, 1975.
- Thomas Bernard Hall Prize (Best paper, I.Mech.E. Jnl. of Eng. Science) 1989.
- Head of Department of Aeronautical & Automotive Engineering, Loughborough University, 1993-1999.
- Invited Lecture 2nd International Conference on Fluid Mechanics & Heat Transfer, Bangladesh,1998
- Chartered Engineer, 1999.
- Fellow of Royal Aeronautical Society, 1999.
- Fellow of Royal Academy of Engineering, 2000.
- Doctor of Science (University of London) 2002.
- Invited Review Special Edition of Journal of Gas-turbine Society of Japan 2002.
- ASME IGTI Combustion and Fuels Committee Best Paper prize: ‘Enhanced External Aerodynamic Performance of a Generic Combustor using an Integrated OGV/Pre-diffuser Design Technique’, (co-authors J. F. Carrotte and A. D. Walker), 2006.
- Invited Speaker UK-Singapore Workshop 'Aerospace Engineering’ 2007.
- Invited Lecture 2nd International Symposium on Jet Propulsion & Power Engineering, Guilin, China 2007.
- Royal Aeronautical Society Lanchester Lecture, 2013.
Outline of main research interests
Development and experimental validation of CFD methods for complex turbulent flows – in particular Large Eddy Simulation applied to aerodynamics, aeroacoustics, two-phase flow, and heat transfer of gas-turbine fuel injectors and combustion systems and high Mach number exhaust nozzle propulsion systems.
- Combustion System Aerodynamics
- Fuel Injector Flows, Aeroacoustics
- Two-Phase Flows, Heat Transfer
- High Speed Aerodynamics
- Applied Aerodynamics
Selected research projects:
- INTELLECT D.M. - Integrated Lean Low Emission Combustor Technology - Design Methodology, EU FP6, 2004 – 2007.
- KIAI – Knowledge for Ignition, Acoustics and Instabilities, EU FP7, 2009 – 2013.
Xiao, F, Dianat, M, McGuirk, JJ (2016) An LES turbulent inflow generator using a recycling and rescaling method, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, pp.1-33, ISSN: 1573-1987. DOI: 10.1007/s10494-016-9778-6.
Xiao, F, Dianat, M, McGuirk, JJ (Accepted for publication) A robust interface method for drop formation and breakup simulation at high density ratio using an extrapolated liquid velocity, Computers and Fluids, 136, pp.402-420, ISSN: 0045-7930. DOI: 10.1016/j.compfluid.2016.06.021.
Feng, T and McGuirk, JJ (2016) Measurements in the annular shear layer of high subsonic and under-expanded round jets, Experiments in Fluids, 57(1), pp.1-25, ISSN: 0723-4864. DOI: 10.1007/s00348-015-2090-8.
External roles and appointments
- Combustion and Fuels Committee of ASME International Gas Turbine Institute 1991- 2012.
- Chair, Rolls-Royce Powerplant Installations and Noise Panel 2004-2008
- Chair, I.Mech.E./Roy.Aero.Soc. Propulsion Technical Committee 2005-2008.
- Chair, Rolls-Royce Propulsion & Power Systems Advisory Board 2008–2013
- Independent Scientific and Technical Adviser, MoD 2007-2013.
- Organiser IMechE Seminar 'Propulsion Systems for Unmanned Aircraft' 2005.
- Member of Planning Committee Roy. Aero. Soc. International Powered Lift Conference 2008.
- Organiser Roy. Aero. Soc. Workshop ‘Progress on Open Rotor Technology’ 2012.
- External Examiner (Undergraduate courses):
- Imperial College (Aeronautics) 1993-1996.
- Manchester University (Aeronautical Engineering) 1997-2000.
- Imperial College (M.Sc. Advanced Mech. Engineering) 1998-2002.
- Bath University (Aeronautical Engineering) 2001-2004.
- Leicester Univ. (M.Sc. Advanced Mechanical Engineering) 2001-2005.
- Nottingham University (Mechanical Engineering) 2005-2008.
- Bristol University (Aeronautical Engineering) 2005-2008.
- Cambridge University (Engineering) 2008-2011.
- Trinity College (Dublin) (Mechanical Engineering) 2010-2014.
- External Examiner (PhD degree):
- Cambridge University, Cranfield University,Imperial College, Leeds Universit, Leicester University, Nottingham Universit, Manchester University, Oxford University, Queen Mary and Westfield, Queen’s University (Belfast), R. M. C. S. (Shrivenham), Surrey University, Sussex University, UMIST, Warwick University